Dry Markets and Superreplication Bounds of American Derivatives
This paper studies the impact of dry markets for underlying assets on the pricing of American derivatives, using a disrete time framework. Dry markets are characterized by the possibility of non-existence of trading at certain dates. Such non-existence may be deterministic or probabilistic. Using superreplicating strategies, we derive expectation representations for the range of arbitrage-free values of the dervatives. In the probabilistic case, if we consider an enlarged filtration induced by the price process and the market existence process, ordinary stopping times are required. If not, randomized stopping times are required. Several comparisons of the ranges obtained with the two market restrictions are performed. Finally, we conclude that arbitrage arguments are not enough to define the optimal exercise policy.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Campus de Campolide, 1099-032 Lisboa|
Phone: (351) 21 3801638
Fax: (351) 21 3870933
Web page: http://www.fe.unl.pt
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Prasad Chalasani & Somesh Jha, 2001. "Randomized Stopping Times and American Option Pricing with Transaction Costs," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(1), pages 33-77.
- John H. Cochrane & Jesus Saa-Requejo, 2000.
"Beyond Arbitrage: Good-Deal Asset Price Bounds in Incomplete Markets,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(1), pages 79-119, February.
- John H. Cochrane & Jesus Saa-Requejo, 1996. "Beyond Arbitrage: "Good-Deal" Asset Price Bounds in Incomplete Markets," NBER Working Papers 5489, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John H. Cochrane & Jesús Saá-Requejo, 1998. "Beyond Arbitrage: "Good-Deal" Asset Price Bounds in Incomplete Markets," CRSP working papers 430, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Longstaff, Francis A, 2001. "Optimal Portfolio Choice and the Valuation of Illiquid Securities," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 14(2), pages 407-431.
- Edirisinghe, Chanaka & Naik, Vasanttilak & Uppal, Raman, 1993. "Optimal Replication of Options with Transactions Costs and Trading Restrictions," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(01), pages 117-138, March.
- Heston, Steven L, 1993. "A Closed-Form Solution for Options with Stochastic Volatility with Applications to Bond and Currency Options," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(2), pages 327-343.
- H. Föllmer & Y.M. Kabanov, 1997. "Optional decomposition and Lagrange multipliers," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 69-81.
- Föllmer, Hans & Kabanov, Jurij M., 1997. "Optional decomposition and lagrange multipliers," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1997,54, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Kramkov, D.O., 1994. "Optional decomposition of supermartingales and hedging contingent claims in incomplete security markets," Discussion Paper Serie B 294, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Kreps, David M., 1979. "Martingales and arbitrage in multiperiod securities markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 381-408, June.
- Oleg Bondarenko, 2003. "Statistical Arbitrage and Securities Prices," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 16(3), pages 875-919, July.
- João Amaro de Matos & Paula Antão, 2001. "Super-replicating Bounds on European Option Prices when the Underlying Asset is Illiquid," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 7(1), pages 1-7.
- Ioannis Karatzas & (*), S. G. Kou, 1998. "Hedging American contingent claims with constrained portfolios," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 215-258. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unl:unlfep:wp461. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sean Story)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.