On Games of Perfect Information: Equilibria, E-Equilibria and Approximation by Simple Games
We show that every bounded, continuous at infinity game of perfect information has an "!perfect equilibrium. Our method consists of approximating the payoff function of each player by a sequence of simple functions, and to consider the corresponding sequence of games, each differing form the original game only on the payoff function. In addition, this approach yields a new characterization of perfect equilibria: a strategy f is a perfect equilibrium in such a game G if and only if it is an 1=n!perfect equilibrium in Gn for all n, where fGng stand for our approximation sequence.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (351) 21 3801638
Fax: (351) 21 3870933
Web page: http://www.fe.unl.pt
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Drew Fudenberg & David K. Levine, 1983.
"Subgame-Perfect Equilibria of Finite- and Infinite-Horizon Games,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
219, David K. Levine.
- Fudenberg, Drew & Levine, David, 1983. "Subgame-perfect equilibria of finite- and infinite-horizon games," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 251-268, December.
- Borgers, Tilman, 1989. "Perfect equilibrium histories of finite and infinite horizon games," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 218-227, February.
- Borgers, Tilman, 1991. "Upper hemicontinuity of the correspondence of subgame-perfect equilibrium outcomes," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 89-106.
- Drew Fudenberg & David K. Levine, 1986.
"Limit Games and Limit Equilibria,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
220, David K. Levine.
- Philip J. Reny, 1999. "On the Existence of Pure and Mixed Strategy Nash Equilibria in Discontinuous Games," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(5), pages 1029-1056, September.
- Harris, Christopher & Vickers, John, 1985. "Perfect Equilibrium in a Model of a Race," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 193-209, April.
- Harris, Christopher J, 1985. "Existence and Characterization of Perfect Equilibrium in Games of Perfect Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(3), pages 613-28, May.
- Hellwig, Martin & Leininger, Wolfgang & Reny, Philip J. & Robson, Arthur J., 1990. "Subgame perfect equilibrium in continuous games of perfect information: An elementary approach to existence and approximation by discrete games," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 406-422, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unl:unlfep:wp427. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sean Story)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.