Mr. Keynes, the Classics and the new Keynesians: A suggested formalization
The paper suggests a new Keynesian model of the General Theory. A reduced form entails a diagram with three curves relating employment and the real wage, which represent the two fundamental classical postulates and the principle of effective demand. This diagram illustrates better than IS-LM the generality of Keynes’s theory, clarifying the distinction of voluntary and involuntary unemployment. Other significant features are the role of the distribution of expected interest rates among heterogeneous agents, whether dispersed or concentrated, in shaping the LM curve, as well as the role of wage competitiveness constraints as a foundation of Keynes’s relative wage hypothesis.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +33 3 68 85 20 69
Fax: +33 3 68 85 20 70
Web page: http://www.beta-umr7522.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kevin D. Hoover, 1995. "Relative Wages, Rationality, and Involuntary Unemployment in Keynes's Labor Market," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 27(4), pages 653-685, Winter.
- Roger E. A. Farmer, 2012.
"The Evolution of Endogenous Business Cycles,"
302012, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Rodolphe DOS SANTOS FERREIRA & Philippe MICHEL, 1991. "Keynesâ€™ Aggregate Supply Function and the Principle of Effective Demand," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 1991023, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Dixon, Huw David & Rankin, Neil, 1994.
"Imperfect Competition and Macroeconomics: A Survey,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 46(2), pages 171-99, April.
- Dixon, H. & Rankin, N., 1991. "Imperfect Competition and Macroeconomics: a Survey," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 387, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Dixon, Huw David & Rankin, Neil, 1992. "Imperfect Competition and Macroeconomics: A Survey," CEPR Discussion Papers 636, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rotemberg, Julio J, 1982. "Monopolistic Price Adjustment and Aggregate Output," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(4), pages 517-31, October.
- Cooper, Russell & John, Andrew, 1988. "Coordinating Coordination Failures in Keynesian Models," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 103(3), pages 441-63, August.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Krugman, Paul R., 1979. "Increasing returns, monopolistic competition, and international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 469-479, November.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1986. "Sticky Goods Prices, Flexible Asset Prices, Monopolistic Competition, and Monetary Policy," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(3), pages 385-405, July.
- Paul R. Krugman, 1998. "It's Baaack: Japan's Slump and the Return of the Liquidity Trap," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 29(2), pages 137-206.
- Lawrence R. Klein, 1947. "Theories of Effective Demand and Employment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 55, pages 108.
- Axel Leijonhufvud, 1988. "Did Keynes Mean Anything? Rejoinder to Yeager," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 8(1), pages 209-217, Spring/Su.
- Silvestre, J., 1991.
"The Market-Power Foundations of Macroeconomic Policy,"
374, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Silvestre, Joaquim, 1993. "The Market-Power Foundations of Macroeconomic Policy," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(1), pages 105-41, March.
- Bryant, John, 1983. "A Simple Rational Expectations Keynes-Type Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(3), pages 525-28, August.
- Rodolphe Dos Santos Ferreira & Philippe Michel, 2013. "Keynes' Wage–Price Dynamics," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(1), pages 44-72, 02.
- Michel, DE VROEY, 2005. "Involuntary Unemployment : the Elusive Quest for a Theory," Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques) 2005004, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Sylvie Rivot, 2011. "Special remedies for special causes: involuntary unemployment in Keynes' political writings," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(4), pages 785-803.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ulp:sbbeta:2013-16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.