Money and Endogenous Growth in a Cash-in-Advance Model with Social Status
Motivated by the substantial increase of nominal money supply in the U.S. economy since late 2008, this paper examines the equilibrium growth effect of money/inflation within a standard one-sector AK model of endogenous growth with wealth-enhanced preferences for social status and the most generalized cash-in-advance constraint. We show that the sign for the correlation between money and output growth depends crucially on (i) the liquidity-constrained ratio of consumption to investment, and (ii) how the shadow price of physical capital responds to a change in the monetary growth rate. This money-growth correlation, as well as the growth effect of social status, turns out to be closely related to the local stability properties of the economy's balanced growth path(s).
|Date of creation:||Jun 2009|
|Date of revision:||Jun 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (951) 827-3266
Fax: (951) 827-5685
Web page: http://economics.ucr.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Liutang Gong & Heng-fu Zou, 2001.
"Money, social status, and capital accumulation in a cash-in-advance model,"
CEMA Working Papers
55, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Gong, Liutang & Zou, Heng-Fu, 2001. "Money, Social Status, and Capital Accumulation in a Cash-in-Advance Model," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(2), pages 284-93, May.
- Christiane Clemens, 2004. "Status, Risk-Taking and Intertemporal Substitution in an Endogenous Growth Model," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 83(2), pages 103-123, November.
- Abel, Andrew B., 1985.
"Dynamic behavior of capital accumulation in a cash-in-advance model,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 55-71, July.
- Andrew B. Abel, 1985. "Dynamic Behavior of Capital Accumulation in a Cash-in-Advance Model," NBER Working Papers 1549, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heng-fu Zou, 1995.
"The spirit of capitalism and savings behavior,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 131-143, September.
- Heng-fu Zou, 1998.
"The spirit of capitalism, social status, money, and accumulation,"
CEMA Working Papers
99, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Heng-fu Zou, 1998. "The spirit of capitalism, social status, money, and accumulation," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 68(3), pages 219-233, October.
- Ming Hon Suen & Chong K. Yip, 2001.
"Superneutrality, Indeterminacy, and Endogenous Growth,"
Departmental Working Papers
_136, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Suen, Ming-Hon & Yip, Chong K., 2005. "Superneutrality, indeterminacy and endogenous growth," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 579-595, December.
- Bakshi, Gurdip S & Chen, Zhiwu, 1996.
"The Spirit of Capitalism and Stock-Market Prices,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(1), pages 133-57, March.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger & Frenkel, Jacob A, 1973. "Inflation and Growth: Alternative Approaches," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 5(1), pages 141-56, Part I Fe.
- Heng-fu Zou, 1991.
"The spirit of capitalism and long-run growth,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
630, The World Bank.
- Corneo, Giacomo & Jeanne, Olivier, 1997. "On relative wealth effects and the optimality of growth," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 87-92, January.
- Yip, C.K. & Wang, P., 1989.
"Alternative Approaches To Money And Growth,"
8-89-4, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Chang, Wen-ya & Hsieh, Yi-ni & Lai, Ching-chong, 2000. "Social status, inflation, and endogenous growth in a cash-in-advance economy," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 535-545, September.
- Fisher, Walter H. & Hof, Franz X., 2005.
"Status seeking in the small open economy,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 209-232, June.
- Hung-Ju Chen & Jang-Ting Guo, 2009. "Social Status And The Growth Effect Of Money," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 60(1), pages 133-141.
- Chang, Wen-ya & Tsai, Hsueh-fang & Lai, Ching-chong, 2004. "Taxation, growth, and the spirit of capitalism," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 1011-1025, November.
- Stockman, Alan C., 1981. "Anticipated inflation and the capital stock in a cash in-advance economy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 387-393.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucr:wpaper:200906. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kelvin Mac)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.