Growth and Income Redistribution Components of Changes in Poverty: A Decomposition Analysis for Ireland, 1987-2005
This study analysed the contribution of economic growth and redistribution components to aggregate poverty changes in Ireland from 1987-2005, using the Shapley value decomposition approach. The analysis used the household disposable income data from the Household Budget Survey to calculate poverty indices. The result of the Shapley value decomposition of poverty changes into growth and redistribution components revealed that the growth component dominates the redistribution component in bringing about the decline in poverty. This suggests that the drastic fall in absolute poverty over the survey period could be attributed to the increase in the household mean income rather than the redistributive policies of government transfer and income tax systems. We also investigated the extent to which economic growth experienced over the survey period has been pro-poor, by using the Growth Incidence Curve proposed by Ravallion and Chen (2003). It was found that economic growth was slightly pro-poor between 1987 and 1994 and generally anti-poor between 1994 and 1999.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: UCD, Belfield, Dublin 4|
Fax: +353-1-283 0068
Web page: http://www.ucd.ie/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Madden, 2011.
"Health and income poverty in Ireland, 2003–2006,"
The Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 9(1), pages 23-33, March.
- Madden, D, 2008. "Health and Income Poverty in Ireland, 2003-2006," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 08/14, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- David (David Patrick) Madden, 2008. "Health and income poverty in Ireland, 2003-2006," Working Papers 200815, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Zhang, Yin & Wan, Guanghua, 2006. "The impact of growth and inequality on rural poverty in China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 694-712, December.
- Zhang, Yin & Wan, Guanghua, 2006. "The Impacts of Growth and Inequality on Rural Poverty in China," WIDER Working Paper Series 094, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Deininger, Klaus & Squire, Lyn, 1998. "New ways of looking at old issues: inequality and growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 259-287.
- Callan, Tim & Keeney, Mary J. & Nolan, Brian & Maitre, Bertrand, 2004. "Why is Relative Income Poverty so High in Ireland?," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number PRS53.
- Whelan, Christopher T. & Layte, Richard & Maitre, Bertrand & Gannon, Brenda & Nolan, Brian & Watson, Dorothy & Williams, James, 2003. "Monitoring Poverty trends in Ireland: Results from the 2001 Living in Ireland Survey," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number PRS51.
- Barrett, Alan & FitzGerald, John & Nolan, Brian, 2002. "Earnings inequality, returns to education and immigration into Ireland," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(5), pages 665-680, November.
- Barrett, Alan & Fitz Gerald, John & Nolan, Brian, 2000. "Earnings Inequality, Returns to Education and Immigration into Ireland," CEPR Discussion Papers 2493, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barrett, Alan & FitzGerald, John & Nolan, Brian, 2000. "Earnings Inequality, Returns to Education and Immigration into Ireland," IZA Discussion Papers 167, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Paolo Verme, 2006. "Pro-poor Growth during Exceptional Growth. Evidence from a Transition Economy," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 3(1), pages 3-14, June.
- Brendan M. Walsh, 2004. "The transformation of the Irish labour market : 1980-2003," Working Papers 200412, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Hyun Son, 2003. "A New Poverty Decomposition," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 1(2), pages 181-187, August.
- David Madden & Fiona Smith, 2000. "Poverty in Ireland, 1987-1994 - A Stochastic Dominance Approach," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 31(3), pages 187-214.
- Madden, D. & Smith, F., 2000. "Poverty in Ireland, 1987-1994: a Stochastic Dominance Approach," Papers 00/13, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Callan, Tim & Nolan, Brian, 1991. " Concepts of Poverty and the Poverty Line," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(3), pages 243-261.
- Tim Callan & Brian Nolan, 1987. "Concepts of Poverty and the Poverty Line," Papers WP002, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Francis Menjo Baye, 2006. "Growth, Redistribution and Poverty Changes in Cameroon: A Shapley Decomposition Analysis," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 15(4), pages 543-570, December.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:9:y:2008:i:19:p:1-2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Florent Bresson, 2008. "The estimation of the growth and redistribution components of changes in poverty: a reassessment," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 9(14), pages 1-7.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:9:y:2008:i:14:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- David (David Patrick) Madden & Cathal Clancy, 2005. "Growth and inequality in Ireland : 1987 - 1999," Working Papers 200516, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Donal O'Neill & Olive Sweetman, 1999. "Poverty and Inequality in Ireland: A Comparison using Measures of Income and Consumption," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n860399, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Adams, Richard Jr., 2004. "Economic Growth, Inequality and Poverty: Estimating the Growth Elasticity of Poverty," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 1989-2014, December.
- Datt, Gaurav & Ravallion, Martin, 1992. "Growth and redistribution components of changes in poverty measures : A decomposition with applications to Brazil and India in the 1980s," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 275-295, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucn:wpaper:201231. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nicolas Clifton)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.