Dublin Jewish demography a century ago
This paper examines the demography of Ireland’s Jewish community a century ago. Its focus is on Dublin Jewry, then mainly a community of immigrants from the Tsarist Empire and their children. It compares the marital fertility and infant and child mortality of immigrant couples with those of native couples living in the same neighbourhood. While ‘economic’ variables are shown to have mattered, there remains a large ‘cultural’ component to the distinctive demography of Jewish households.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Jan 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: UCD, Belfield, Dublin 4|
Fax: +353-1-283 0068
Web page: http://www.ucd.ie/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cormac Ó Gráda, 1991.
"New evidence on the fertility transition in Ireland 1880-1911,"
Open Access publications
10197/402, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Cormac Gráda, 1991. "New evidence on the fertility transition in Ireland 1880–1911," Demography, Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 535-548, November.
- O'Gráda, Cormac, 1991. "New Evidence on the Fertility Transition in Ireland 1880-1911," CEPR Discussion Papers 531, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hans-Peter Kohler & Jere R. Behrman & Susan Cotts Watkins, 1999. "The structure of social networks and fertility decisions: evidence from S. Nyanza District, Kenya," MPIDR Working Papers WP-1999-005, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany.
- Cormac Ó Gráda, 2002. "Infant and child mortality in Dublin a century ago," Working Papers 200228, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Cormac Ó Gráda, 1985. "Did Ulster Catholics always have larger families?," Open Access publications 10197/349, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- O Grada, Cormac & Duffy, Niall, 1995.
"Fertility Control Early in Marriage in Ireland a Century Ago,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 423-31, November.
- Duffy, Niall & O'Gráda, Cormac, 1995. "Fertility Control Early in Marriage in Ireland a Century Ago," CEPR Discussion Papers 1109, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Brendan M. Walsh, 1970. "Religion and demographic behaviour in Ireland," Open Access publications 10197/1487, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Kohler, Hans-Peter, 2001. "Fertility and Social Interaction: An Economic Perspective," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199244591, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucn:wpaper:200601. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nicolas Clifton)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.