Dublin Jewish Demography a Century Ago
This paper examines the demography of Ireland’s Jewish community a century ago. Its focus is on Dublin Jewry, then mainly a community of immigrants from the Tsarist Empire and their children. It compares the marital fertility and infant and child mortality of immigrant couples with those of native couples living in the same neighbourhood. While ‘economic’ variables are shown to have mattered, there remains a large ‘cultural’ component to the distinctive demography of Jewish households.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- O'Gráda, Cormac, 1991.
"New Evidence on the Fertility Transition in Ireland 1880-1911,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
531, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cormac Gráda, 1991. "New evidence on the fertility transition in Ireland 1880–1911," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 28(4), pages 535-548, November.
- Cormac Ó Gráda, 1991. "New evidence on the fertility transition in Ireland 1880-1911," Open Access publications 10197/402, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Brendan M. Walsh, 1970. "Religion and demographic behaviour in Ireland," Open Access publications 10197/1487, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Cormac Ó Gráda, 2002. "Infant and child mortality in Dublin a century ago," Working Papers 200228, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Cormac Ó Gráda, 1985. "Did Ulster Catholics always have larger families?," Open Access publications 10197/349, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Kohler, Hans-Peter, 2001. "Fertility and Social Interaction: An Economic Perspective," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199244591.
- O Grada, Cormac & Duffy, Niall, 1995.
"Fertility Control Early in Marriage in Ireland a Century Ago,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 8(4), pages 423-31, November.
- Duffy, Niall & O'Gráda, Cormac, 1995. "Fertility Control Early in Marriage in Ireland a Century Ago," CEPR Discussion Papers 1109, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hans-Peter Kohler & Jere R. Behrman & Susan Cotts Watkins, 1999. "The structure of social networks and fertility decisions: evidence from S. Nyanza District, Kenya," MPIDR Working Papers WP-1999-005, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eso:journl:v:37:y:2006:i:2:p:123-147. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frank Walsh)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.