The Johansson-Samuelson Theorem in General Equilibrium: A Rebuttal
The well-know Johansson-Samuelson Theorem proves that, in partial equilibrium, comprehensive income taxation with a uniform tax rate is neutral in terms of investment decisions, if fiscal depreciation allowances coincide with economic depreciation. In this article we show that this result does not hold in general equilibrium, unless fairly restrictive conditions are met.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.unibs.it/atp/page.1019.0.0.0.atp?node=224
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vasicek, Oldrich Alfons, 2005. "The economics of interest rates," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 293-307, May.
- Boadway, Robin & Bruce, Neil, 1984.
"A general proposition on the design of a neutral business tax,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 231-239, July.
- Robin Boadway & Neil Bruce, 1982. "A General Proposition on the Design of a Neutral Business Tax," Working Papers 461, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Gomes, Joao F & Kogan, Leonid & Zhang, Lu, 2002.
"Equilibrium Cross-Section of Returns,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3482, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Patrick K. Asea & Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1997.
"Capital Income Taxation and Risk-Taking in a Small Open Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
6189, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Asea, Patrick K. & Turnovsky, Stephen J., 1998. "Capital income taxation and risk-taking in a small open economy," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 55-90, April.
- Patrick Asea & Stephen Turnovsky, 1997. "Capital Income Taxation and Risk-Taking in a Small Open Economy," UCLA Economics Working Papers 768, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Rebelo, Sergio, 1991.
"Long-Run Policy Analysis and Long-Run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(3), pages 500-521, June.
- Andrew B. Abel, 2007. "Optimal Capital Income Taxation," NBER Working Papers 13354, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Devereux, 2003.
"Measuring taxes on income from capital,"
IFS Working Papers
W03/04, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Gordon, Roger H, 1985. "Taxation of Corporate Capital Income: Tax Revenues versus Tax Distortions," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 100(1), pages 1-27, February.
- Jeremy I. Bulow & Lawrence H. Summers, 1982.
"The Taxation of Risky Assets,"
NBER Working Papers
0897, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kaplow, Louis, 1994. "Taxation and Risk Taking: A General Equilibrium Perspective," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 47(4), pages 789-98, December.
- Louis Kaplow, 1991. "Taxation and Risk Taking: A General Equilibrium Perspective," NBER Working Papers 3709, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Duffie, Darrell & Zame, William, 1989.
"The Consumption-Based Capital Asset Pricing Model,"
Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1279-97, November.
- Fane, G., 1987. "Neutral taxation under uncertainty," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 95-105, June.
- Hartwick, John M. & Karp, Larry & Long, Ngo Van, 2002. "Depreciation rules and value invariance with extractive firms," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 99-116, January.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1964. "Tax Deductibility of Economic Depreciation to Insure Invariant Valuations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72, pages 604.
- Rainer Niemann, 2004. "Tax Rate Uncertainty, Investment Decisions, and Tax Neutrality," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 265-281, 05.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ubs:wpaper:0806. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Matteo Galizzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.