Cooperation preferences and framing effects
This paper presents the results from an experiment investigating whether framing affects the elicitation and predictive power of preferences for cooperation, i.e., the willingness to cooper- ate with others. Cooperation preferences are elicited in three treatments using the method of Fischbacher, Gächter and Fehr (2001). The treatments vary two features of their method: the sequence and order in which the contributions of other group members are presented. The predictive power of the elicited preferences is evaluated in a one-shot and a finitely-repeated public-good game. I find that the order in which the contributions of others are presented, by and large, has no impact on the elicited preferences and their predictive power. In contrast, presenting the contributions of others in a sequence has a pronounced effect on the elicited preferences and reduces substantially their predictive power. Overall, elicited preferences are more accurate at predicting behavior when others' contributions are presented simultaneously and in ascending order, like in Fischbacher, Gächter and Fehr (2001).
|Date of creation:||Feb 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Schanzeneckstr. 1, PF 8573, CH-3001 Bern|
Phone: 0041 31 631 45 06
Fax: 41 31 631 37 83
Web page: http://www.vwi.unibe.ch/content/publikationen/index_eng.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Louis Lévy-Garboua & Hela Maafi & David Masclet & Antoine Terracol, 2012.
"Risk aversion and framing effects,"
PSE - Labex "OSE-Ouvrir la Science Economique"
- repec:att:wimass:9406 is not listed on IDEAS
- James Andreoni, 1994.
"Warm-Glow versus Cold-Prickle: The Effects of Positive and Negative Framing on Cooperation in Experiments,"
- James Andreoni, 1995. "Warm-Glow versus Cold-Prickle: The Effects of Positive and Negative Framing on Cooperation in Experiments," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 110(1), pages 1-21.
- James Andreoni, 1997. "Warm-glow versus cold-prickle: the effect of positive and negative framing on cooperation in experiments," Levine's Working Paper Archive 671, David K. Levine.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2008:i:51:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Koji Kotani & Shunsuke Managi & Kenta Tanaka, 2008. "Further investigations of framing effects on cooperative choices in a provision point mechanism," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(51), pages 1-9.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ube:dpvwib:dp1302. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silvia Glusstein-Gerber)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Silvia Glusstein-Gerber to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.