Wählbare Selbstbehalte in der Krankenversicherung der Schweiz: Nachfragesteuerung oder Selektion?
This paper discusses if the choice of a higher deductible in mandatory Swiss health insurance leads to a reduction of health care utilization. A GMM estimator which takes into account the potential endogeneity of the choice of the deductible is used to analyze the number of physician visits. The data from the Swiss Health Survey 2002 allow for a correct modeling of the sequence of choice of the deductible and ensuing health care utilization. Individuals were interviewed at the time of choice of the deductible and six months later. The results indicate that the observed lower number of physician visits among individuals who opted for a high deductible is caused by self-selection of healthier individuals and of individuals with less preference for health care into contracts with high deductibles. An incentive induced behavioral change towards a more parsimonious utilization of health care services cannot be found
|Date of creation:||Jan 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Schanzeneckstr. 1, PF 8573, CH-3001 Bern|
Phone: 0041 31 631 45 06
Fax: 41 31 631 37 83
Web page: http://www.vwi.unibe.ch/content/publikationen/index_eng.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Windmeijer, F A G & Silva, J M C Santos, 1997.
"Endogeneity in Count Data Models: An Application to Demand for Health Care,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(3), pages 281-94, May-June.
- Frank Windmeijer & Joao Santos Silva, 1996. "Endogeneity in count data models; an application to demand for health care," IFS Working Papers W96/15, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Andreas Werblow, 2002. "Alles nur Selektion?: Der Einfluss von Selbstbehalten in der Gesetzlichen Krankenversicherung," Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 71(4), pages 427-436.
- Martin Schellhorn, 2001. "The effect of variable health insurance deductibles on the demand for physician visits," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(5), pages 441-456.
- John Mullahy, 1997. "Instrumental-Variable Estimation Of Count Data Models: Applications To Models Of Cigarette Smoking Behavior," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 586-593, November.
- Peter Zweifel, 1986. "Die Kosten-Versicherungs-Spirale im schweizerischen Gesundheitswesen," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 122(III), pages 555-583, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ube:dpvwib:dp0402. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silvia Glusstein-Gerber)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.