Estimating Tax Agency Efficiency
Empirical work on a tax agency's production process has been plagued by the absence of comparable tax administrative data across countries and years. Such data are now available from the Organisation of Economic Co-operation and Development. This paper uses these data for the years 2007 to 2011, together with an estimation strategy that utilizes data envelopment analysis and stochastic frontier analysis, to determine the relative efficiency of tax agencies in their use of inputs. Overall, the average efficiency scores indicate that countries should be able to collect their current level of revenues with approximately 10 to 16 percent less inputs.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 206 Tilton Hall, New Orleans, LA 70118|
Phone: (504) 865-5321
Fax: (504) 865-5869
Web page: http://econ.tulane.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Glenn Rayp & Nicolas Van De Sijpe, 2007.
"Measuring and explaining government efficiency in developing countries,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(2), pages 360-381.
- N. Van De Sijpe & G. Rayp, 2004. "Measuring and Explaining Government Inefficiency in Developing Countries," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 04/266, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- van de Sijpe, Nicolas & Rayp, Glenn, 2005. "Measuring and Explaining Government Inefficiency in Developing Countries," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Kiel 2005 32, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Antonis Adam & Manthos Delis & Pantelis Kammas, 2011. "Public sector efficiency: leveling the playing field between OECD countries," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 146(1), pages 163-183, January.
- Adam, Antonis & Delis, Manthos D & Kammas, Pantelis, 2008. "Public sector efficiency: Leveling the playing field between OECD countries," MPRA Paper 16493, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joshua Aizenman & Yothin Jinjarak, 2008. "The collection efficiency of the Value Added Tax: Theory and international evidence," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(3), pages 391-410.
- Joshua Aizenman & Yothin Jinjarak, 2005. "The Collection Efficiency of the Value Added Tax: Theory and International Evidence," NBER Working Papers 11539, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Jinjarak, Yothin, 2005. "The collection efficiency of the value added tax: theory and international evidence," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt42d103zh, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Cook, Wade D. & Seiford, Larry M., 2009. "Data envelopment analysis (DEA) - Thirty years on," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 192(1), pages 1-17, January.
- H. Fried & C. Lovell & S. Schmidt & S. Yaisawarng, 2002. "Accounting for Environmental Effects and Statistical Noise in Data Envelopment Analysis," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 157-174, January.
- Balaguer-Coll, Maria Teresa & Prior, Diego & Tortosa-Ausina, Emili, 2007. "On the determinants of local government performance: A two-stage nonparametric approach," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 425-451, February.
- Emili Tortosa Ausina & Diego Prior & María Teresa Balaguer-Coll, 2004. "On The Determinants Of Local Government Performance: A Two-Stage Nonparametric Approach," Working Papers. Serie EC 2004-04, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Leslie Robinson & Joel Slemrod, 2012. "Understanding multidimensional tax systems," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 19(2), pages 237-267, April.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Bird, Richard M. & Martinez-Vazquez, Jorge & Torgler, Benno, 2008. "Tax Effort in Developing Countries and High Income Countries: The Impact of Corruption, Voice and Accountability," Economic Analysis and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 55-71, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)