Rethinking the Research Paradigms for Analyzing Tax Compliance Behavior
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- James Alm & Erich Kirchler & Stephan Muehlbacher & Katharina Gangl & Eva Hofmann & Christoph Kogler & Maria Pollai, 2012. "Rethinking the Research Paradigms for Analysing Tax Compliance Behaviour," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 13(2), pages 33-40, July.
References listed on IDEAS
- Gerald J. Pruckner & Rupert Sausgruber, 2008.
"Honesty on the Streets - A Natural Field Experiment on Newspaper Purchasing,"
2009-24, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Gerald J. Pruckner & Rupert Sausgruber, 2009. "Honesty on the Streets: A Natural Field Experiment on Newspaper Purchasing," NRN working papers 2009-24, The Austrian Center for Labor Economics and the Analysis of the Welfare State, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Gneezy, Uri & Rustichini, Aldo, 2000. "A Fine is a Price," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(1), pages 1-17, January.
- Alm, James & Torgler, Benno, 2006.
"Culture differences and tax morale in the United States and in Europe,"
Journal of Economic Psychology,
Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 224-246, April.
- James Alm & Benno Torgler, 2004. "Culture Differences and Tax Morale in the United States and in Europe," CREMA Working Paper Series 2004-14, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Kirchler, Erich, 1999. "Reactance to taxation: Employers' attitudes towards taxes," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 131-138, July.
- Francesco Guala & Luigi Mittone, 2005. "Experiments in economics: External validity and the robustness of phenomena," Journal of Economic Methodology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 495-515.
- Ingrid Wahl & Stephan Muehlbacher & Erich Kirchler, 2010. "The Impact of Voting on Tax Payments," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(1), pages 144-158, February.
- James Alm & Benno Torgler, 2011. "Do Ethics Matter? Tax Compliance and Morality," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 101(4), pages 635-651, July.
- Kirchler,Erich, 2007. "The Economic Psychology of Tax Behaviour," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521876742, April.
- James Alm, 2012. "Measuring, explaining, and controlling tax evasion: lessons from theory, experiments, and field studies," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 19(1), pages 54-77, February.
- Gary S. Becker, 1974. "Crime and Punishment: An Economic Approach," NBER Chapters,in: Essays in the Economics of Crime and Punishment, pages 1-54 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gerald J. Pruckner & Rupert Sausgruber, 2013. "Honesty On The Streets: A Field Study On Newspaper Purchasing," Journal of the European Economic Association, European Economic Association, vol. 11(3), pages 661-679, June.
- Srinivasan, T. N., 1973. "Tax evasion: A model," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 339-346.
- Kastlunger, Barbara & Kirchler, Erich & Mittone, Luigi & Pitters, Julia, 2009. "Sequences of audits, tax compliance, and taxpaying strategies," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 405-418, June.
- Erich Kirchler & Boris Maciejovsky & Martin Weber, 2010.
"Framing Effects, Selective Information and Market Behavior: An Experimental Analysis,"
Chapters,in: Handbook of Behavioral Finance, chapter 1
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Erich Kirchler & Boris Maciejovsky & Martin Weber, 2004. "Framing Effects, Selective Information and Market Behavior An Experimental Analysis ," Papers on Strategic Interaction 2004-16, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Strategic Interaction Group.
- Stephan Muehlbacher & Erich Kirchler & Herbert Schwarzenberger, 2011. "Voluntary versus enforced tax compliance: empirical evidence for the “slippery slope” framework," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 89-97, August.
- Allingham, Michael G. & Sandmo, Agnar, 1972. "Income tax evasion: a theoretical analysis," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(3-4), pages 323-338, November.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pickhardt, Michael & Prinz, Aloys, 2014. "Behavioral dynamics of tax evasion – A survey," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 1-19.
- repec:jes:journl:y:2017:v:8:p:5-28 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:joepsy:v:62:y:2017:i:c:p:1-16 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:ecosys:v:41:y:2017:i:3:p:354-366 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kaplanoglou, Georgia & Rapanos, Vassilis T., 2015. "Why do people evade taxes? New experimental evidence from Greece," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 56(C), pages 21-32.
- repec:ris:utmsje:0218 is not listed on IDEAS
- Georgia Kaplanoglou & Vassilis T. Rapanos & Nikolaos Daskalakis, 2016. "Tax compliance behaviour during the crisis: the case of Greek SMEs," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 405-444, December.
- Gobena, Lemessa Bayissa & Van Dijke, Marius, 2016. "Power, justice, and trust: A moderated mediation analysis of tax compliance among Ethiopian business owners," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 24-37.
- repec:nwe:eajour:y:2017:i:3:p:333-351 is not listed on IDEAS
- Colin C. Williams & Friedrich Schneider, 2016. "Measuring the Global Shadow Economy," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 16551.
- Onu, Diana & Oats, Lynne, 2016. "“Paying tax is part of life”: Social norms and social influence in tax communications," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 124(C), pages 29-42.
- Colin C. Williams, 2014. "Confronting the Shadow Economy," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 15370.
- C. Williams, Colin & Kayaoglu, Aysegul, 2016. "Tackling The Informal Economy In The European Union: A Social Actor Approach," UTMS Journal of Economics, University of Tourism and Management, Skopje, Macedonia, vol. 7(2), pages 133-147.
- James Alm, 2014.
"Expanding the theory of tax compliance from individual to group motivations,"
Chapters,in: A Handbook of Alternative Theories of Public Economics, chapter 12, pages 260-277
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- James Alm, 2013. "Expanding the Theory of Tax Compliance from Individual to Group Motivations," Working Papers 1309, Tulane University, Department of Economics.
- Colin C Williams & Ioana A Horodnic, 2016. "Tackling the undeclared economy in the European Union: an evaluation of the tax morale approach," Industrial Relations Journal, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(4), pages 322-340, July.
- repec:mgt:youmng:v:12:y:2017:i:4:p:333-353 is not listed on IDEAS
- Brizi, Ambra & Giacomantonio, Mauro & Schumpe, Birga M. & Mannetti, Lucia, 2015. "Intention to pay taxes or to avoid them: The impact of social value orientation," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 22-31.
- Luigi Mittone & Matteo Ploner & Eugenio Verrina, 2017. "When the State Doesn't Play Dice: An Experimental Analysis of Cunning Fiscal Policies and Tax Compliance," CEEL Working Papers 1702, Cognitive and Experimental Economics Laboratory, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
More about this item
Keywordstax evasion; behavioral economics; social norms; slippery slope;
- H26 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Tax Evasion and Avoidance
- D03 - Microeconomics - - General - - - Behavioral Microeconomics: Underlying Principles
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2012-08-23 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2012-08-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBE-2012-08-23 (Cognitive & Behavioural Economics)
- NEP-IUE-2012-08-23 (Informal & Underground Economics)
- NEP-PBE-2012-08-23 (Public Economics)
- NEP-PUB-2012-08-23 (Public Finance)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tul:wpaper:1210. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yang Wang). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/detulus.html .