Technology Choice and Market Structure: Strategic Aspects of Flexible Manufacturing
This paper shows that the adoption of flexible manufacturing techniques by firms leads to a tougher price regime. This need not benefit consumers since the tougher regime deters entry and facilitates segmented market structures. The ability of flexible manufacturing to deter entry is moderated by two forces: non-prohibitive costs of re-anchoring flexible manufacturing processes and entrants choosing to produce niche products using designated technologies rather than to adopt flexible manufacturing. If flexible manufacturing leads to market preemption it can be expected to be characterized by excessive product variety. Alternatively, flexible manufacturers may prefer to accommodate entry by small-scale, niche firms.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Medford, MA 02155, USA|
Phone: (617) 627-3560
Fax: (617) 627-3917
Web page: http://ase.tufts.edu/economics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donald Gerwin, 1993. "Manufacturing Flexibility: A Strategic Perspective," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(4), pages 395-410, April.
- Steven C. Salop, 1979. "Monopolistic Competition with Outside Goods," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 141-156, Spring.
- MACLEOD, W.B. & NORMAN, G. & THISSE, Jacques-FranÃ§ois, .
"Price discrimination and equilibrium in monopolistic competition,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1021, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- MacLeod, W.B. & Norman, G. & Thisse, J.-F., 1988. "Price discrimination and equilibrium in monopolistic competition," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 429-446.
- Macleod, W.B. & Norman, G. & Thisse, J.-F., 1985. "Price discrimination and equilibrium in monopolistic competition," CORE Discussion Papers 1985006, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- W. B. MacLeod & G. Norman & J.F. Thisse, 1987. "Price Discrimination and Equilibrium in Monopolistic Competition," Working Papers 701, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- THISSE,Â Jacques-FranÃ§ois & VIVES, Xavier, .
"On the strategic choice of spatial price policy,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
793, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Judith R. Gelman & Steven C. Salop, 1983. "Judo Economics: Capacity Limitation and Coupon Competition," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(2), pages 315-325, Autumn.
- Norman, George & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1996. "Product Variety and Welfare under Tough and Soft Pricing Regimes," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(434), pages 76-91, January.
- Chang, Myong-Hun, 1993. "Flexible Manufacturing, Uncertain Consumer Tastes, and Strategic Entry Deterrence," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 77-90, March.
- Curtis Eaton, B. & Schmitt, N., 1991.
"Flexible Manufacturing and Market Structure,"
1991-02, Tasmania - Department of Economics.
- B. Curtis Eaton & Richard G. Lipsey, 1979. "A Comment on Location and Industrial Efficiency with Free Entry," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 93(3), pages 447-450.
- MacLeod, W B & Norman, G & Thisse, J-F, 1987.
"Competition, Tacit Collusion and Free Entry,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(385), pages 189-98, March.
- Brander, James A & Eaton, Jonathan, 1984.
"Product Line Rivalry,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 323-34, June.
- Lars-Hendrik Röller & Mihkel M. Tombak, 1993. "Competition and Investment in Flexible Technologies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(1), pages 107-114, January.
- James D. Reitzes & David T. Levy, 1995. "Price Discrimination and Mergers," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 28(2), pages 427-36, May.
- B. Curtis Eaton & Myrna Holtz Wooders, 1985. "Sophisticated Entry in a Model of Spatial Competition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(2), pages 282-297, Summer.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tuf:tuftec:9808. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Caroline Kalogeropoulos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.