Heterogeneity, Adverse Selection and Valuation with Endogenous Labor Supply
This paper considers models of intratemporal consumption-labor choice and intertemporal consumption choice under heterogeneity and private information in preferences towards labor. We show that market regime regarding unemployment insurance is important to determine the effects of heterogeneity and private information on allocations and valuations. There are two main results. First, intertemporal choice can mitigate adverse selection. Second, in countries where unemployment insurance is generous capital markets should have low usage and the risk-free rate of return is low. However, in countries where unemployment insurance is less generous, capital markets should have more usage and the risk-free rate of return is higher.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (617) 627-3560
Fax: (617) 627-3917
Web page: http://ase.tufts.edu/economics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diamond, P. A. & Mirrlees, J. A., 1978.
"A model of social insurance with variable retirement,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 295-336, December.
- P. A. Diamond & J. A. Mirrlees, 1977. "A Model of Social Insurance With Variable Retirement," Working papers 210, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Albert Marcet & Francesc Obiols-Homs & Philippe Weil, 2003.
"Incomplete Markets, Labor Supply and Capital Accumulation,"
Sciences Po publications
659, Sciences Po.
- Marcet, Albert & Obiols-Homs, Francesc & Weil, Philippe, 2007. "Incomplete markets, labor supply and capital accumulation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(8), pages 2621-2635, November.
- Albert Marcet & Francesc Obiols-Homs & Philippe Weil, 2007. "Incomplete Markets, Labor Supply and Capital Accumulation," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/8623, Sciences Po.
- Albert Marcet & Francesc Obiols-Homs & Philippe Weil, 2003. "Incomplete Markets, Labor Supply and Capital Accumulation," Working Papers 173, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Albert Marcet & Francesc Obiols-Homs & Philippe Weil, 2002. "Incomplete markets, labor supply and capital accumulation," Economics Working Papers 659, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Oct 2003.
- Hansen, Gary D & Imrohoroglu, Ayse, 1992.
"The Role of Unemployment Insurance in an Economy with Liquidity Constraints and Moral Hazard,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(1), pages 118-42, February.
- Hansen, G.D. & Imrohoroglu, A., 1990. "The Role Of Unemployment Insurance In An Economy With Liquidity Constraints And Moral Hazard," Papers 21, California Los Angeles - Applied Econometrics.
- Gary D. Hansen & Ayse Imrohoroglu, 1990. "The Role of Unemployment Insurance in an Economy with Liquidity Constraints and Moral Hazard," UCLA Economics Working Papers 583, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Prescott, Edward C & Townsend, Robert M, 1984.
"Pareto Optima and Competitive Equilibria with Adverse Selection and Moral Hazard,"
Econometric Society, vol. 52(1), pages 21-45, January.
- Edward C Prescott & Robert M Townsend, 2010. "Pareto Optima and Competitive Equilibria With Adverse Selection and Moral Hazard," Levine's Working Paper Archive 2069, David K. Levine.
- Backus, David K., 1993.
"Interpreting comovements in the trade balance and the terms of trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(3-4), pages 375-387, May.
- David K. Backus, 1992. "Interpreting Comovements in the Trade Balance and the Terms of Trade," Working Papers 92-4, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Fernando Alvarez & Marcelo Veracierto, 1999.
"Labor market policies in an equilibrium search model,"
Working Paper Series
WP-99-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Fernando Alvarez & Marcelo Veracierto, 2000. "Labor-Market Policies in an Equilibrium Search Model," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1999, Volume 14, pages 265-316 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zvi Bodie & Robert C. Merton & William F. Samuelson, 1992.
"Labor Supply Flexibility and Portfolio Choice in a Life-Cycle Model,"
NBER Working Papers
3954, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bodie, Zvi & Merton, Robert C. & Samuelson, William F., 1992. "Labor supply flexibility and portfolio choice in a life cycle model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 16(3-4), pages 427-449.
- Andreas Hornstein & Edward C. Prescott, 1989. "The firm and the plant in general equilibrium theory," Staff Report 126, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Gary Hansen, 2010.
"Indivisible Labor and the Business Cycle,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
233, David K. Levine.
- Joao Gomes & Jeremy Greenwood & Sergio T. Rebelo, 2001.
RCER Working Papers
479, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Richard Rogerson, 2010.
"Indivisible Labor, Lotteries and Equilibrium,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
250, David K. Levine.
- Mulligan Casey B, 2001.
"Aggregate Implications of Indivisible Labor,"
The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics,
De Gruyter, vol. 1(1), pages 1-35, April.
- Berliant, Marcus & De, Sankar, 1998. "On the revelation of private information in stock market economies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 241-256, September.
- Marcelo Bianconi, 1999.
"Heterogeneity, Efficiency, and Asset Allocation with Endogenous Labor Supply: The Static Case,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 1999
354, Society for Computational Economics.
- Bianconi, Marcelo, 2001. "Heterogeneity, Efficiency and Asset Allocation with Endogenous Labor Supply: The Static Case," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 69(3), pages 253-68, June.
- Besley, Timothy & Coate, Stephen & Loury, Glenn, 1994. "Rotating Savings and Credit Associations, Credit Markets and Efficiency," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(4), pages 701-19, October.
- Charles Ka Yui Leung, 1995. "Does non-traded input necessarily deepen the international non-diversification puzzle I?: The one-good case," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 281-285, September.
- Atkeson Andrew & Lucas Jr. , Robert E., 1995. "Efficiency and Equality in a Simple Model of Efficient Unemployment Insurance," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 64-88, June.
- Akerlof, George A, 1970. "The Market for 'Lemons': Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500, August.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1982. "Interest rates and currency prices in a two-country world," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 335-359.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tuf:tuftec:0412. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Caroline Kalogeropoulos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.