The firm and the plant in general equilibrium theory
The general equilibrium formulations are developed for two important economic environments. The first environment is the Lucas managerial span-of-control theory of the firm. It is shown that, in the spirit of McKenzie, the aggregate production set can be characterized by a convex cone. The second environment permits both the number of hours plants are operated and the number of workers operating them to be varied. For empirically reasonable elasticities of substitution, equilibrium is characterized by employment-consumption lotteries.
|Date of creation:||1989|
|Publication status:||Published in General Equilibrium, Growth and Trade (Vol. 2, 1993, pp. 393-410)|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 90 Hennepin Avenue, P.O. Box 291, Minneapolis, MN 55480-0291|
Phone: (612) 204-5000
Web page: http://minneapolisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.minneapolisfed.org/pubs/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Gary D., 1985.
"Indivisible labor and the business cycle,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 309-327, November.
- Prescott, Edward C & Townsend, Robert M, 1984.
"General Competitive Analysis in an Economy with Private Information,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 25(1), pages 1-20, February.
- Edward C Prescott & Robert M Townsend, 1997. "General Competitive Analysis in an Economy with Private Information," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1578, David K. Levine.
- Rogerson, Richard, 1988.
"Indivisible labor, lotteries and equilibrium,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 3-16, January.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu, 1975. "A model of equilibrium with differentiated commodities," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 263-295.
- McKenzie, Lionel W, 1981.
"The Classical Theorem on Existence of Competitive Equilibrium,"
Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 819-841, June.
- L. W. McKenzie, 2010. "The Classical Theorem on Existence of Competitive Equilibrium," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1388, David K. Levine.
- Harald Uhlig, 2010.
"A Law of Large Numbers for Large Economies,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2070, David K. Levine.
- Robert E. Lucas Jr., 1978. "On the Size Distribution of Business Firms," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 9(2), pages 508-523, Autumn.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedmsr:126. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jannelle Ruswick)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.