A Duration Model with Dynamic Unobserved Heterogeneity
The paper considers a new class of duration models in which unobserved heterogeneity changes with time. The class addresses two main questions: How does the exit probability from a state vary when unobserved heterogeneity evolves through time? And do changes in unobserved heterogeneity have a timing effect? We show the non- and semi-parametric identification of the new class by solving a nonlinear integral equation with unknown kernel. Both the function of observed covariates and the mean of the distribution of unobserved heterogeneity are nonparametrically identified. Identifying timing effects and the distribution of unobserved heterogeneity requires stronger assumptions on either one of the two. An extension to the case when unobserved heterogeneity is a function of observed covariates is also identified. We show that sieve maximum likelihood estimators are consistent and present Monte Carlo simulations for both correct specification and misspecification. The paper also presents an empirical model of unemployment duration in which individuals exit unemployment when total accumulated losses due to unemployment cross over a self-imposed spending limit.
|Date of creation:||16 Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:||Nov 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: (+33) 5 61 12 86 23|
Web page: http://www.tse-fr.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:dgr:uvatin:20070057 is not listed on IDEAS
- Heckman, James J. & Singer, Burton, 1984. "Econometric duration analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 63-132.
- McCall, B.P., 1993. "Identifying State Dependence in Duration Models with Time-Varying Regressions," Papers 93-06, Minnesota - Industrial Relations Center.
- Brinch, Christian N., 2007. "Nonparametric Identification Of The Mixed Hazards Model With Time-Varying Covariates," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(02), pages 349-354, April.
- Ryu, Keunkwan, 1993. "Structural duration analysis of management data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1-3), pages 91-115.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tse:wpaper:25316. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.