Turing’s Economics-- A Birth Centennial Homage
In this paper, in homage to Alan Turing’s birth centennial, I try to develop what may be called Turing’s Economics. I characterize the contents of such an ‘economics’ in terms of the conceptual and mathematical tools developed by Alan Turing. It is shown, in more and less detail, how these concepts and tools could be used in core areas of economic theory to raise fundamental queries on claims of computability – and answer them precisely. The conclusion is that the field of Turing’s Economics would – should – contribute to a reorientation of economics in the direction of serious considerations of mathematical epistemology
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Inama 5, 38100 Trento|
Web page: http://www.assru.economia.unitn.it/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dixon, Peter B. & Parmenter, B.R., 1996. "Computable general equilibrium modelling for policy analysis and forecasting," Handbook of Computational Economics,in: H. M. Amman & D. A. Kendrick & J. Rust (ed.), Handbook of Computational Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 1, pages 3-85 Elsevier.
- K.Vela Velupillai, 2012. "The Epistemology of Simulation, Computation and Dynamics in Economics," ASSRU Discussion Papers 1218, ASSRU - Algorithmic Social Science Research Unit.
- Stefano Zambelli, 2004. "Production of Ideas by Means of Ideas: A Turing Machine Metaphor," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(2-3), pages 155-179, 05.
- Francesco Luna, 2004. "Research and Development in Computable Production Functions," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(2-3), pages 180-194, 05.
- Tesfatsion, Leigh, 2006.
"Agent-Based Computational Economics: A Constructive Approach to Economic Theory,"
Handbook of Computational Economics,in: Leigh Tesfatsion & Kenneth L. Judd (ed.), Handbook of Computational Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 831-880
- Leigh Tesfatsion, 2006. "Agent-Based Computational Economics: A Constructive Approach to Economic Theory," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 527, Society for Computational Economics.
- Tesfatsion, Leigh, 2006. "Agent-Based Computational Economics: A Constructive Approach to Economic Theory," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12514, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:trn:utwpas:1224. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (email@example.com)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.