Turing's Economics. A Birth Centennial Homage
In this paper, in homage to Alan Turing's birth centennial, I try to develop what may be calledTuring's Economics. I characterize the contents of such an «economics» in terms of the conceptualand mathematical tools developed by Alan Turing. It is shown, in more and less detail, how these conceptsand tools could be used in core areas of economic theory to raise fundamental queries on claimsof computability - and answer them precisely. The conclusion is that the field of Turing's Economicswould - should - contribute to a reorientation of economics in the direction of serious considerations ofmathematical epistemology.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- K.Vela Velupillai, 2012. "The Epistemology of Simulation, Computation and Dynamics in Economics," ASSRU Discussion Papers 1218, ASSRU - Algorithmic Social Science Research Unit.
- Dixon, Peter B. & Parmenter, B.R., 1996. "Computable general equilibrium modelling for policy analysis and forecasting," Handbook of Computational Economics, in: H. M. Amman & D. A. Kendrick & J. Rust (ed.), Handbook of Computational Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 1, pages 3-85 Elsevier.
- Stefano Zambelli, 2004. "Production of Ideas by Means of Ideas: A Turing Machine Metaphor," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(2-3), pages 155-179, 05.
- Francesco Luna, 2004. "Research and Development in Computable Production Functions," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(2-3), pages 180-194, 05.
- Tesfatsion, Leigh, 2006.
"Agent-Based Computational Economics: A Constructive Approach to Economic Theory,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
12514, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Tesfatsion, Leigh, 2006. "Agent-Based Computational Economics: A Constructive Approach to Economic Theory," Handbook of Computational Economics, in: Leigh Tesfatsion & Kenneth L. Judd (ed.), Handbook of Computational Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 831-880 Elsevier.
- Leigh Tesfatsion, 2006. "Agent-Based Computational Economics: A Constructive Approach to Economic Theory," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 527, Society for Computational Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mul:jb33yl:doi:10.1428/73098:y:2013:i:1:p:13-32. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.