Monetary Policy and the Term Structure of Interest Rates in Japan
This paper uses Japanese data to investigate the relationship between monetary policy and the yield curve. We compare and contrast the role of monetary policy under two perspectives. Under the liquidity effect maintained hypothesis monetary policy is an ineffective tool in altering long-term bond yields and doesn't account for much of the long-term variation in bonds of any maturity. Under the sticky price maintained hypothesis, however, monetary policy has large and persistent effects on the yield curve producing large hump-shaped responses in yields of all maturities. Moreover, under this hypothesis shocks to monetary policy and other macroeconomic variables are important sources of variation in long-term yields jointly accounting for 50% of the long-run variance of the 5-year yield.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. Anton Braun & Etsuro Shioji, 2003. "Monetary Policy and Economic Activity in Japan and the United States," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-251, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & R. Anton Braun & Zvi Eckstein, 1995.
"Transaction services, inflation, and welfare,"
551, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Aiyagari, S.R. & Braum, T. & Eckstein, Z., 1995. "Transaction Services, Inflation and Welfare," Papers 27-95, Tel Aviv - the Sackler Institute of Economic Studies.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & R. Anton Braun & Zvi Eckstein, 1998. "Transaction services, inflation, and welfare," Staff Report 241, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Charles M. Kahn & William Roberds, 2002.
"Payments settlement under limited enforcement: Private versus public systems,"
FRB Atlanta Working Paper
2002-33, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- William Roberds & Charles M. Kahn, 2004. "Payments Settlement under Limited Enforcement: Private versus Public Systems," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 13, Econometric Society.
- Andrew Ang & Monika Piazzesi, 2001.
"A No-Arbitrage Vector Autoregression of Term Structure Dynamics with Macroeconomic and Latent Variables,"
NBER Working Papers
8363, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ang, Andrew & Piazzesi, Monika, 2003. "A no-arbitrage vector autoregression of term structure dynamics with macroeconomic and latent variables," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 745-787, May.
- Etsuro Shioji, 1997. "Spanish monetary policy: A structural VAR analysis," Economics Working Papers 215, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tky:fseres:2003cf252. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.