How does Market Access for Smallholders affect Export Supply? The Case of Tobacco Marketing in Malawi
Transaction costs play a key role in the behaviour of smallholders in developing countries. We investigate smallholder tobacco cultivation in Malawi, Malawi’s major export crop, and exploit the introduction of an additional tobacco auction floor to measure the impact of a reduction in transaction costs on smallholders’ decisions on tobacco crop area and production. Estimations are based on annual data by Extension Planning Area, from the Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security, combined with data from other sources. A 10% reduction in transport cost is shown to lead to an increase in crop area and production of around 4% and 2.5%, respectively. Supply response runs along the extensive margin: both area and production increase, but production slightly less, leading to a decrease in yield, most likely because tobacco cultivation expands to less suitable areas and/or less productive farmers. In view of the non-experimental nature of the data, we confirm impacts by estimating a dose response function using generalised propensity scores. Supply response increases substantially within a distance to auction floor of less than 60km. We find no empirical support for conversion of crop area from maize and other crops into tobacco.
|Date of creation:||25 Jul 2016|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Gustav Mahlerplein 117, 1082 MS Amsterdam|
Phone: +31 (0)20 598 4580
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Renkow, Mitch & Hallstrom, Daniel G. & Karanja, Daniel D., 2004. "Rural infrastructure, transactions costs and market participation in Kenya," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 349-367, February.
- Balat, Jorge & Brambilla, Irene & Porto, Guido, 2009.
"Realizing the gains from trade: Export crops, marketing costs, and poverty,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 21-31, June.
- Jorge Balat & Irene Brambilla & Guido Porto, 2007. "Realizing the Gains From Trade: Export Crops, Marketing Costs, and Poverty," NBER Working Papers 13395, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Balat, Jorge & Brambilla, Irene & Porto, Guido, 2008. "Realizing the gains from trade : export crops, marketing costs, and poverty," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4488, The World Bank.
- Nigel Key & Elisabeth Sadoulet & Alain De Janvry, 2000. "Transactions Costs and Agricultural Household Supply Response," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(2), pages 245-259.
- Harrigan, Jane, 2008. "Food insecurity, poverty and the Malawian Starter Pack: Fresh start or false start?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 237-249, June.
- Negri, Mariano & Porto, Guido, 2007.
"Burley Tobacco Clubs in Malawi: Nonmarket Institutions for Exports,"
6210, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Negri, Mariano & Porto, Guido G., 2008. "Burley tobacco clubs in Malawi : nonmarket institutions for exports," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4561, The World Bank.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Ruth Vargas Hill, 2005. "Selling at the Farmgate or Traveling to Market," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(3), pages 717-734.
- Kydd, Jonathan & Christiansen, Robert, 1982. "Structural change in Malawi since independence: Consequences of a development strategy based on large-scale agriculture," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 355-375, May.
- Minten, Bart & Kyle, Steven, 1999. "The effect of distance and road quality on food collection, marketing margins, and traders' wages: evidence from the former Zaire," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 467-495, December.
- de Janvry, Alain & Fafchamps, Marcel & Sadoulet, Elisabeth, 1991. "Peasant Household Behaviour with Missing Markets: Some Paradoxes Explained," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(409), pages 1400-1417, November.
- Aparajita Goyal, 2010.
"Information, Direct Access to Farmers, and Rural Market Performance in Central India,"
American Economic Journal: Applied Economics,
American Economic Association, vol. 2(3), pages 22-45, July.
- Goyal, Aparajita, 2010. "Information, direct access to farmers, andrural market performance in central India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5315, The World Bank.
- Michela Bia & Alessandra Mattei, 2008. "A Stata package for the estimation of the dose–response function through adjustment for the generalized propensity score," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 8(3), pages 354-373, September.
- Stephan J. Goetz, 1992. "A Selectivity Model of Household Food Marketing Behavior in Sub-Saharan Africa," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 74(2), pages 444-452.
- Jacoby, Hanan G. & Minten, Bart, 2009.
"On measuring the benefits of lower transport costs,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 28-38, May.
- Jacoby, Hanan G. & Minten, Bart, 2008. "On measuring the benefits of lower transport costs," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4484, The World Bank.
- Jenny C. Aker, 2010. "Information from Markets Near and Far: Mobile Phones and Agricultural Markets in Niger," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, vol. 2(3), pages 46-59, July.
- Steven Were Omamo, 1998. "Transport Costs and Smallholder Cropping Choices: An Application to Siaya District, Kenya," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 116-123.
- Robert Jensen, 2007. "The Digital Provide: Information (Technology), Market Performance, and Welfare in the South Indian Fisheries Sector," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 122(3), pages 879-924.
- Alain de Janvry & Elisabeth Sadoulet, 2010. "Agriculture for Development in Africa: Business-as-Usual or New Departures?-super- †," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 19(suppl_2), pages 7-39.
- Orr, Alastair, 2000. "'Green Gold'?: Burley Tobacco, Smallholder Agriculture, and Poverty Alleviation in Malawi," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 347-363, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tin:wpaper:20160054. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tinbergen Office +31 (0)10-4088900)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.