Ins and Outs of Unemployment in Turkey
This paper analyzes rates of inflow to and outflow from unemployment for Turkey since 2006. The average rate of exiting unemployment (outflow) within a month is 9.4 percent, while the average rate of transiting from employment to unemployment (inflow) is 1.3 percent. Moreover, the analysis of flow rates for different age and education groups show that these rates change significantly across groups. The paper decomposes changes in unemployment into contributions from inflow and outflow rates and finds that the volatility of inflow rates is the main driving force of the change in the unemployment rate in Turkey.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (90 312) 507 5000
Fax: (90 312) 507 5640
Web page: http://www.tcmb.gov.tr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345, March.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173, March.
- Robert Shimer, 2007.
"Reassessing the Ins and Outs of Unemployment,"
NBER Working Papers
13421, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shigeru Fujita & Garey Ramey, 2009.
"The Cyclicality Of Separation And Job Finding Rates,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 50(2), pages 415-430, 05.
- Shigeru Fujita & Garey Ramey, 2007. "The cyclicality of separation and job finding rates," Working Papers 07-19, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Michael Elsby & Bart Hobijn & Aysegül Sahin, 2009.
"Unemployment dynamics in the OECD,"
Working Paper Series
2009-04, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Yusuf Soner Baskaya & Gonul Sengul, 2012. "Turkiye’de Emek Piyasasinin Cevrimsel Hareketinin Cinsiyet Bazinda Analizi," CBT Research Notes in Economics 1209, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Michael W. Elsby & Ryan Michaels & Gary Solon, 2007.
"The Ins and Outs of Cyclical Unemployment,"
NBER Working Papers
12853, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tcb:wpaper:1210. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ozlem Ekmekciler Ramalho Rocha)or (Ilker Cakar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.