Access to credit by the poor in South Africa: Evidence from Household Survey Data 1995 and 2000
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- James J. Heckman, 1976. "The Common Structure of Statistical Models of Truncation, Sample Selection and Limited Dependent Variables and a Simple Estimator for Such Models," NBER Chapters,in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 5, number 4, pages 475-492 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cally Ardington & David Lam & Murray Leibbrandt & James Levinsohn, 2004.
"Savings, Insurance And Debt Over The Post-Apartheid Period: A Review Of Recent Research,"
South African Journal of Economics,
Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 72(3), pages 604-640, September.
- Cally Ardington & David Lam & Murray Leibbrandt & James Levinsohn, 2004. "Savings, Insurance and Debt over the Post-Apartheid Period: A Review of Recent Research," SALDRU/CSSR Working Papers 065, Southern Africa Labour and Development Research Unit, University of Cape Town.
- Mohieldin, Mahmoud S & Wright, Peter W, 2000.
"Formal and Informal Credit Markets in Egypt,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 48(3), pages 657-670, April.
- Peter Wright & Mahmud Mohieldin,, "undated". "Formal and Informal Credit Markets in Egypt," Discussion Papers 96/2, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Mahmoud Mohieldin & P. Wright, 1994. "Formal and Informal Credit Markets in Egypt," Working Papers 9415, Economic Research Forum, revised 10 Jun 1994.
- Kochar, Anjini, 1997. "An empirical investigation of rationing constraints in rural credit markets in India," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 339-371, August.
- Zeller, Manfred, 1994. "Determinants of credit rationing: A study of informal lenders and formal credit groups in Madagascar," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(12), pages 1895-1907, December.
- Heckman, James J, 1990. "Varieties of Selection Bias," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 313-318, May.
- Bell, Clive, 1990. "Interactions between Institutional and Informal Credit Agencies in Rural India," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 4(3), pages 297-327, September.
- Andrie Schoombee, 2000. "Getting South African banks to serve micro-entrepreneurs: An analysis of policy options," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(5), pages 751-767.
- Yadav, S. & Otsuka, K. & David, C. C., 1992. "Segmentation in rural financial markets: the case of Nepal," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 423-436, March.
- Aleem, Irfan, 1990. "Imperfect Information, Screening, and the Costs of Informal Lending: A Study of a Rural Credit Market in Pakistan," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 4(3), pages 329-349, September.
- Reza Daniels, 2001. "Consumer Indebtedness Among Urban South African Households: A Descriptive Overview," Working Papers 01055, University of Cape Town, Development Policy Research Unit.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Bell, Clive & Srinivasan, T N & Udry, Christopher, 1997. "Rationing, Spillover, and Interlinking in Credit Markets: The Case of Rural Punjab," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(4), pages 557-585, October.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ana María Iregui-Bohórquez & Ligia Alba Melo-Becerra & María Teresa Ramírez-Giraldo & Ana María Tribín-Uribe, 2016. "Determinantes del acceso al crédito formal e informal: Evidencia de los hogares de ingresos medios y bajos en Colombia," Borradores de Economia 956, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Vuong Quoc, Duy, 2011. "Are households’ poverty levels in Mekong Delta of Vietnam affected by access to credit?," MPRA Paper 35412, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vuong Quoc, Duy, 2012. "Determinants of household access to formal credit in the rural areas of the Mekong Delta, Vietnam," MPRA Paper 38202, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ghosh, Saibal & Vinod, D., 2017. "What Constrains Financial Inclusion for Women? Evidence from Indian Micro data," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 92(C), pages 60-81.
More about this item
Keywordscredit; poverty; South Africa;
- N27 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions - - - Africa; Oceania
- D14 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Household Saving; Personal Finance
- G2 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2006-09-30 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2006-09-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-DCM-2006-09-30 (Discrete Choice Models)
- NEP-DEV-2006-09-30 (Development)
- NEP-FDG-2006-09-30 (Financial Development & Growth)
- NEP-FMK-2006-09-30 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-MFD-2006-09-30 (Microfinance)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sza:wpaper:wpapers27. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Melt van Schoor). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/desunza.html .