Savings, Insurance and Debt over the Post-Apartheid Period: A Review of Recent Research
Sustainable poverty reduction requires that poor households effectively manage risk. The absence of basic financial services is a major obstacle to poverty reduction in South Africa. This paper reviews available South African literature on utilisation of formal and informal risk management instruments. The centrality of income in accessing the complementary bundle of formal financial services excludes households in the lower deciles from formal financial services. Rural households and households without formally employed household members are also denied access. Strong complementarities with informal channels of finance mean that these same households have limited access to even informal financial services. Promoting the use of savings accounts in pension and social grant payouts and the growth of village banks have been suggested as means to increase formal access for the poor.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +27 21 650 5696
Fax: +27 21 650 5697
Web page: http://www.saldru.uct.ac.za/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cally Ardington & David Lam & Murray Leibbrandt & James Levinsohn, 2004.
"Savings, Insurance And Debt Over The Post-Apartheid Period: A Review Of Recent Research,"
South African Journal of Economics,
Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 72(3), pages 604-640, 09.
- Cally Ardington & David Lam & Murray Leibbrandt & James Levinsohn, 2004. "Savings, Insurance and Debt over the Post-Apartheid Period: A Review of Recent Research," SALDRU/CSSR Working Papers 065, Southern Africa Labour and Development Research Unit, University of Cape Town.
- Maluccio, John A. & Haddad, Lawrence James & May, Julian, 1999. "Social capital and income generation in South Africa, 1993-98," FCND discussion papers 71, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Holzmann, Robert & Jorgensen, Steen, 1999.
"Social protection as social risk management : conceptual underpinnings for the social protection sector strategy paper,"
Social Protection Discussion Papers
20119, The World Bank.
- Paul Mosley & Robert Holzmann & Steen Jorgensen, 1999. "Social protection as social risk management: conceptual underpinnings for the social protection sector strategy paper," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(7), pages 1005-1027.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ldr:cssrwp:065. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alison Siljeur)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.