Introduction [to Handbook of Post-Keynesian Economics: Oxford University Press: USA]
In this Introduction, we discuss the main themes of post-Keynesian economics, and the manner in which they are dealt with by the contributors to the Handbook. In particular, the important aspects of post-Keynesian analysis are identified, and their main critiques of mainstream theory are discussed. According to Joan Robinson “post-Keynesian has a definite meaning; it applies to an economic theory or method of analysis which takes account of the difference between the future and the past”. In other words, historical time forms the basis of post-Keynesian analysis, which also stresses the importance of history, uncertainty, society and institutions in understanding economic phenomena.
|Date of creation:||May 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Australian School of Business Building, Sydney 2052|
Fax: +61)-2- 9313- 6337
Web page: http://www.economics.unsw.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anwar Shaikh, 2005. "Nonlinear Dynamics and Pseudo-Production Functions," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 31(3), pages 447-466, Summer.
- G. C. Harcourt, 1995. "Capitalism, Socialism and Post-Keynesianism," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 206, April.
- Young, Allyn A., 1928. "Increasing Returns and Economic Progress," History of Economic Thought Articles, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, vol. 38, pages 527-542.
- Rizvi, S Abu Turab, 1994. "Game Theory to the Rescue?," Contributions to Political Economy, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(0), pages 1-28.
- Franklin M. Fisher, 1978. "Quantity Constraints, Spillovers and the Hahn Process," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 45(1), pages 19-31.
- Harcourt, G C & Kenyon, Peter, 1976. "Pricing and the Investment Decision," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(3), pages 449-77.
- Eichner, Alfred S & Kregel, J A, 1975. "An Essay on Post-Keynesian Theory: A New Paradigm in Economics," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 13(4), pages 1293-1314, December.
- Coutts, Ken & Norman, Neville R., 2007.
"Global influences on UK manufacturing prices: 1970-2000,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 51(5), pages 1205-1221, July.
- Coutts, K. & Norman, N.R., 2001. "Global Influences on UK Manufacturing Prices 1970-2000," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 819, The University of Melbourne.
- Franklin M. Fisher, 1972. "On Price Adjustment without an Auctioneer," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 39(1), pages 1-15.
- Tony Lawson, 1994. "The Nature of Post Keynesianism and Its Links to Other Traditions: A Realist Perspective," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 16(4), pages 503-538, July.
- Harcourt, G C, 1969.
"Some Cambridge Controversies in the Theory of Capital,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 7(2), pages 369-405, June.
- Harcourt,G. C., 1972. "Some Cambridge Controversies in the Theory of Capital," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521096720, june. pag.
- G. C. Harcourt, 1985. "A Twentieth-Century Eclectic: Richard Goodwin," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 7(3), pages 410-421, April.
- Forder, James, 1996. "On the Assessment and Implementation of 'Institutional' Remedies," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 48(1), pages 39-51, January.
- Marglin, Stephen A, 1984. "Growth, Distribution, and Inflation: A Centennial Synthesis," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(2), pages 115-44, June.
- Robinson, Joan, 1977. "What Are the Questions?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 1318-39, December.
- Eichner, Alfred S, 1973. "A Theory of the Determination of the Mark-up Under Oligopoly," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 83(332), pages 1184-1200, December.
- R. F. Kahn, 1959. "Exercises In The Analysis Of Growth," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(2), pages 143-156.
- Michel-Stéphane Dupertuis & Ajit Sinha, 2009. "A Sraffian critique of the classical notion of centre of gravitation," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(6), pages 1065-1087, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:swe:wpaper:2012-33. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gabriele Gratton)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.