Patterns of Corporate Diversification in Canada: An Empirical Analysis
Using a comprehensive micro-database of Canadian firms in conjunction with industry-level data on commodity flows, we develop a profile of corporate diversification within the Canadian economy. Our analysis has two major objectives. First, we decompose corporate diversification into horizontal and vertical components based on the degree to which industries are linked by inter-industry trade flows. Horizontal and vertical decompositions serve as useful proxies for the strategic factors that underlie diversification strategies. Our second objective is to ascertain whether diversification patterns are closely associated with certain industry characteristics. Here we consider industry-level factors that are generally posited to affect the level of diversification (e.g., growth, concentration, knowledge-intensity) along with other variables designed to evaluate whether diversified ownership structures are associated with inter-industry commodity flows. Our regression analysis draws on three empirical measures of diversification: first, the amount of total entropy (i.e., diversification) within an industry; second, the average entropy per firm; and last, the percentage of firms within an industry that diversify.
|Date of creation:||16 Jun 2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Tunney's Pasture, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0T6|
Web page: http://www.statcan.gc.ca
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- B. Espen Eckbo, 1986. "Mergers and the Market for Corporate Control: The Canadian Evidence," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 19(2), pages 236-260, May.
- Jacquemin, Alexis P & Berry, Charles H, 1979. "Entropy Measure of Diversification and Corporate Growth," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(4), pages 359-369, June.
- Rhoades, Stephen A, 1974. "A Further Evaluation of the Effect of Diversification on Industry Profit Performance," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 56(4), pages 557-559, November.
- Gorecki, Paul K, 1975. "An Inter-Industry Analysis of Diversification in the U.K. Manufacturing Sector," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(2), pages 131-146, December.
- Michael Gort, 1962. "Diversification and Integration in American Industry," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number gort62-1.
- Miller, Richard A, 1969. "Market Structure and Industrial Performance: Relation of Profit Rates to Concentration, Advertising Intensity, and Diversity," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(2), pages 104-118, April.
- Baldwin, John R. & Peters, Alice, 2001. "Innovation and Connectivity: The Nature of Market Linkages and Innovation Networks in Canadian Manufacturing Industries," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2001165e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Sushil Vachani, 1991. "Distinguishing Between Related and Unrelated International Geographic Diversification: A Comprehensive Measure of Global Diversification," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 22(2), pages 307-322, June.
- Scherer, F M, 1988. "Corporate Takeovers: The Efficiency Arguments," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 2(1), pages 69-82, Winter.
- Clarke, R & Davies, S W, 1983. "Aggregate Concentration, Market Concentration and Diversification," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(369), pages 182-192, March.
- Rhoades, Stephen A, 1973. "The Effect of Diversification on Industry Profit Performance in 241 Manufacturing Industries: 1963," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 55(2), pages 146-155, May.
- Lecraw, Donald J, 1984. "Diversification Strategy and Performance," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(2), pages 179-198, December.
- Maddigan, Ruth J, 1981. "The Measurement of Vertical Integration," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(3), pages 328-335, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:stc:stcp3e:2000150e. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Brown)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.