Changes in the Diversification of Canadian Manufacturing Firms and Plants (1973-1997): A Move to Specialization
This paper studies changes in diversification of firms and plants since the early 1970s in the Canadian manufacturing sector. It finds that there has been a general increase in specialization of both firms and plants. Firms have been continuously reducing the span of industries in which they operate, particularly when the industries are unrelated. Commodity specialization has also occurred at the plant level; however, in contrast to industry specialization, the pace of commodity specialization increased emerged late in the period, around the time of implementation of the Free Trade Agreement between Canada and the United States. Plant specialization increased most in those plants that moved most strongly into export markets.
|Date of creation:||05 Feb 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.statcan.gc.ca
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Markusen, James R., 1981. "Trade and the gains from trade with imperfect competition," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 531-551, November.
- Gollop, Frank M & Monahan, James L, 1991. "A Generalized Index of Diversification: Trends in U.S. Manufacturing," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(2), pages 318-30, May.
- Frank R. Lichtenberg, 1990.
"Industrial De-Diversification and its Consequences for Productivity,"
NBER Working Papers
3231, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lichtenberg, Frank R., 1992. "Industrial de-diversification and its consequences for productivity," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 427-438, August.
- Frank R. Lichtenberg, 1990. "Industrial De-Diversification and Its Consequences for Productivity," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_35, Levy Economics Institute.
- Clarke, R & Davies, S W, 1983. "Aggregate Concentration, Market Concentration and Diversification," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(369), pages 182-92, March.
- George J. Stigler, 1951. "The Division of Labor is Limited by the Extent of the Market," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59, pages 185.
- MacDonald, James M, 1985. "R and D and the Directions of Diversification," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(4), pages 583-90, November.
- Jovanovic, B., 1993. "The Diversification of Production," Working Papers 93-11, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Lemelin, Andre, 1982. "Relatedness in the Patterns of Interindustry Diversification," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 64(4), pages 646-57, November.
- Peters, Alice & Beckstead, Desmond & Gellatly, Guy & Baldwin, John R. & Yates, Janice, 2000. "Patterns of Corporate Diversification in Canada: An Empirical Analysis," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2000150e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Markusen, James R. & Rutherford, Thomas F. & Hunter, Linda, 1995. "Trade liberalization in a multinational-dominated industry," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1-2), pages 95-117, February.
- Richard E. Caves, 1987. "Effects of mergers and acquisitions on the economy: an industrial organization perspective," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 31, pages 149-172.
- Richard Harris, 1983.
"Applied General Equilibrium Analysis of Small Open Economies with Scale Economies and Imperfect Competition,"
524, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Harris, Richard, 1984. "Applied General Equilibrium Analysis of Small Open Economies with Scale Economies and Imperfect Competition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(5), pages 1016-32, December.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521633574 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jacquemin, Alexis P & Berry, Charles H, 1979. "Entropy Measure of Diversification and Corporate Growth," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(4), pages 359-69, June.
- Aw, Bee-Yan & Batra, Geeta, 1998. "Firm size and the pattern of diversification," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 313-331, May.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521465618 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lecraw, Donald J, 1984. "Diversification Strategy and Performance," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(2), pages 179-98, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:stc:stcp3e:2002179e. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Brown)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.