Individual Wealth, Reservation Wages, and Transitions into Employment
We investigate the relationship between financial wealth, reservation wages, and labor market transitions. Wealth is assumed to affect the level of the reservation wage and the employment probability. We test for the validity of this assumption by estimating a simultaneous‐equations model of reservation wages, labor market transitions, and wealth. The data used for the analysis relate to a sample of unemployed job searchers. We use subjective information on the reservation wage. Wealth is found to have a significantly positive impact on the reservation wage. The overall impact of wealth on the employment probability is negative though small.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Labor Economics, 2001, vol. 19, pp.400-439|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.sciencespo.fr/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Diamond, Peter A, 1994.
"Ranking, Unemployment Duration, and Wages,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 417-34, July.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Peter Diamond, 1990. "Ranking, Unemployment Duration, and Wages," NBER Working Papers 3387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, O.J. & Diamond, P., 1990. "Ranking, Unemployment Duration, And Wages," Working papers 546, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1997.
"Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 557-586, May.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1994. "Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments," NBER Technical Working Papers 0151, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berg, G.J. van den & Gorter, C., 1996.
"Job search and commuting time,"
Serie Research Memoranda
0001, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Bloemen, H.G., 1995.
"The relation between wealth and labour market transitions : An empirical study for the Netherlands,"
1995-99, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Hans G. Bloemen, 2002. "The relation between wealth and labour market transitions: an empirical study for the Netherlands," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(3), pages 249-268.
- Bloemen, H., 1995. "The Relation Between Wealth and Labour Market Transitions: An Empirical Study for the Netherlands," Papers 9599, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- van den Berg, Gerard J, 1990. "Nonstationarity in Job Search Theory," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(2), pages 255-77, April.
- Rendon Sílvio, 2006.
"Job Search And Asset Accumulation Under Borrowing Constraints ,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 47(1), pages 233-263, 02.
- Silvio Rendon, 2002. "Job search and asset accumulation under borrowing constraints," Economics Working Papers 649, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Silvio Rendón, 2002. "Job Search And Asset Accumulation Under Borrowing Constraints," Economics Working Papers we025219, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Denis Fougère & Jacqueline Pradel & Muriel Roger, 1998. "The Influence of the State Employment Service on the Search Effort and on the Probability of Leaving Unemployment," Working Papers 98-36, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Atkinson, Anthony B & Micklewright, John, 1991. "Unemployment Compensation and Labor Market Transitions: A Critical Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 29(4), pages 1679-1727, December.
- Bekker, Paul A, 1994. "Alternative Approximations to the Distributions of Instrumental Variable Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(3), pages 657-81, May.
- Blundell, Richard & Magnac, Thierry & Meghir, Costas, 1997.
"Savings and Labor-Market Transitions,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 15(2), pages 153-64, April.
- Devine, Theresa J. & Kiefer, Nicolas M., 1991. "Empirical Labor Economics: The Search Approach," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195059366.
- Lancaster, Tony & Chesher, Andrew, 1983. "An Econometric Analysis of Reservation Wages," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(6), pages 1661-76, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spo:wpmain:info:hdl:2441/9704. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Spire @ Sciences Po Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.