Individual Wealth, Reservation Wages, and Transitions into Employment
We investigate the relationship between financial wealth, reservation wages, and labor market transitions. Wealth is assumed to affect the level of the reservation wage and the employment probability. We test for the validity of this assumption by estimating a simultaneous‐equations model of reservation wages, labor market transitions, and wealth. The data used for the analysis relate to a sample of unemployed job searchers. We use subjective information on the reservation wage. Wealth is found to have a significantly positive impact on the reservation wage. The overall impact of wealth on the employment probability is negative though small.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Labor Economics, 2001, vol. 19, pp.400-439|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.sciencespo.fr/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Peter Diamond, 1994.
"Ranking, Unemployment Duration, and Wages,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 61(3), pages 417-434.
- Blanchard, O.J. & Diamond, P., 1990. "Ranking, Unemployment Duration, And Wages," Working papers 546, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Peter Diamond, 1990. "Ranking, Unemployment Duration, and Wages," NBER Working Papers 3387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rendon Sílvio, 2006.
"Job Search And Asset Accumulation Under Borrowing Constraints ,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 47(1), pages 233-263, 02.
- Rendón, Silvio, 2002. "Job search and asset accumulation under borrowing constraints," UC3M Working papers. Economics we025219, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Silvio Rendon, 2002. "Job search and asset accumulation under borrowing constraints," Economics Working Papers 649, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Hans G. Bloemen, 2002.
"The relation between wealth and labour market transitions: an empirical study for the Netherlands,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(3), pages 249-268.
- Bloemen, H., 1995. "The Relation Between Wealth and Labour Market Transitions: An Empirical Study for the Netherlands," Papers 9599, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Bloemen, H.G., 1995. "The relation between wealth and labour market transitions : An empirical study for the Netherlands," Discussion Paper 1995-99, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- van den Berg, G., 1987.
"Nonstationarity in job search theory,"
c2b931bf-9cce-4bae-929c-b, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- van den Berg, Gerard J & Gorter, Cees, 1997.
"Job Search and Commuting Time,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 15(2), pages 269-81, April.
- Atkinson, Anthony B & Micklewright, John, 1991. "Unemployment Compensation and Labor Market Transitions: A Critical Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 29(4), pages 1679-1727, December.
- Denis Fougère & Jacqueline Pradel & Muriel Roger, 1998. "The Influence of the State Employment Service on the Search Effort and on the Probability of Leaving Unemployment," Working Papers 98-36, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Devine, Theresa J. & Kiefer, Nicolas M., 1991. "Empirical Labor Economics: The Search Approach," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195059366.
- Lancaster, Tony & Chesher, Andrew, 1983. "An Econometric Analysis of Reservation Wages," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(6), pages 1661-76, November.
- Richard Blundell & Thierry Magnac & Costas Meghir, 1996.
"Savings and labour market transitions,"
IFS Working Papers
W96/05, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1994.
"Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0151, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1997. "Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 557-586, May.
- Bekker, Paul A, 1994. "Alternative Approximations to the Distributions of Instrumental Variable Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(3), pages 657-81, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spo:wpmain:info:hdl:2441/9704. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Spire @ Sciences Po Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.