Health Care Reform and the Number of Doctor Visits ï¿½ An Econometric Analysis
The paper evaluates the German health care reform of 1997, using the individual number of doctor visits as outcome measure and data from the German Socio- Economic Panel for the years 1995-1999. A number of modified count data models allow to estimate the effect of the reform in different parts of the distribution. The overall effect of the reform was a 10 percent reduction in the number of doctor visits. The effect was much larger in the lower part of the distribution than in the upper part.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2002|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Applied Econometrics 19, 2004, pages 455-472|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Schönberggasse 1, CH-8001 Zürich|
Phone: +41-1-634 21 37
Fax: +41-1-634 49 82
Web page: http://www.econ.uzh.ch/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Santos Silva, Joao M. C. & Windmeijer, Frank, 2001.
"Two-part multiple spell models for health care demand,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 67-89, August.
- Joao M.C. Santos Silva & Frank Windmeijer, 1999. "Two-part multiple spell models for health care demand," IFS Working Papers W99/02, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Grossman, Michael, 1972. "On the Concept of Health Capital and the Demand for Health," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(2), pages 223-255, March-Apr.
- Machado, Jose A.F. & Silva, J. M. C. Santos, 2005.
"Quantiles for Counts,"
Journal of the American Statistical Association,
American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 1226-1237, December.
- Deb, Partha & Trivedi, Pravin K., 2002. "The structure of demand for health care: latent class versus two-part models," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 601-625, July.
- Mullahy, John, 1986. "Specification and testing of some modified count data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 341-365, December.
- Vuong, Quang H, 1989. "Likelihood Ratio Tests for Model Selection and Non-nested Hypotheses," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 307-333, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:soz:wpaper:0210. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marita Kieser)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.