Pollution Abatement Costs and Foreign Direct Investment Inflows to U.S. States: A Nonparametric Reassessment
Keller and Levinson (2002, this Review, 84(4), 691-703) utilize state-level panel data on inflows of foreign direct investment along with an innovative measure of relative pollution abatement costs to assess the impact of environmental stringency on capital flows. Using standard parametric panel data models, the authors find moderate evidence that capital flows are sensitive to abatement costs. Using recently developed nonparametric methods, we assess the robustness of this conclusion. The nonparametric approach reveals that (i) some of the parametric results are not robust, (ii) the impact of relative abatement costs is heterogeneous across states and generally of smaller magnitude than previously suggested.Length: 15 pages
|Date of creation:||Oct 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, P.O. Box 750496, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, TX 75275-0496|
Web page: http://www.smu.edu/economics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arik Levinson, 2001.
"An Industry-Adjusted Index of State Environmental Compliance Costs,"
in: Behavioral and Distributional Effects of Environmental Policy, pages 131-158
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arik Levinson, 1999. "An Industry-Adjusted Index of State Environmental Compliance Costs," Working Papers gueconwpa~00-00-08, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Arik Levinson, 1999. "An Industry-Adjusted Index of State Environmental Compliance Costs," NBER Working Papers 7297, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Racine, Jeff & Li, Qi, 2004. "Nonparametric estimation of regression functions with both categorical and continuous data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 99-130, March.
- John A. List & Daniel L. Millimet & Per G. Fredriksson & W. Warren McHone, 2003. "Effects of Environmental Regulations on Manufacturing Plant Births: Evidence from a Propensity Score Matching Estimator," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 944-952, November.
- Carlo Carraro & Gilbert E. Metcalf, 2000.
"Behavioral and Distributional Effects of Environmental Policy: Introduction,"
Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University
0011, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Carlo Carraro & Gilbert E. Metcalf, 2000. "Behavioral and Distributional Effects of Environmental Policy Introduction," NBER Working Papers 7648, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pagan,Adrian & Ullah,Aman, 1999.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521586115, june. pag.
- Wolfgang Keller & Arik Levinson, 2002. "Pollution Abatement Costs and Foreign Direct Investment Inflows to U.S. States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(4), pages 691-703, November.
- List, John A. & McHone, W. Warren & Millimet, Daniel L., 2004. "Effects of environmental regulation on foreign and domestic plant births: is there a home field advantage?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 303-326, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:smu:ecowpa:0507. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bo Chen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.