An Industry-Adjusted Index of State Environmental Compliance Costs
This paper describes a new, industry-adjusted index of state environmental compliance costs from 1977 to 1994. The index has two principal advantages: it controls for states' industrial compositions, and it can be calculated for 17 years, thus facilitating comparisons both among states and within states over time. Several notable facts emerge. First, differences in states' industrial compositions play a large role in determining their environmental compliance costs. Second, after controlling for industrial composition, the variance across states in compliance costs declined steadily between 1977 and 1994. Third, this cost index is negatively correlated with subjective indices of state environmental efforts compiled by various environmental organizations. In sum, the cost index described here provides some new data on historical trends in state regulatory differences, differs from the conventional wisdom regarding states' relative environmental efforts, and provides a useful tool for researchers exploring the effects of compliance costs on economic activity.
|Date of creation:||Aug 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as An Industry-Adjusted Index of State Environmental Compliance Costs , Arik Levinson. in Behavioral and Distributional Effects of Environmental Policy , Carraro and Metcalf. 2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eli Berman & Linda T. Bui, 1997.
"Environmental Regulation and Labor Demand: Evidence from the South Coast Air Basin,"
0082, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Berman, Eli & Bui, Linda T. M., 2001. "Environmental regulation and labor demand: evidence from the South Coast Air Basin," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 265-295, February.
- Berman, E. & Bui, L.T., 1997. "Environmental Regulation and Labor demand: Evidence from the South Coast Air Basin," Papers 82, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Catherine Co & John List, 2000.
"The Effects of Environmental Regulations on Foreign Direct Investment,"
Natural Field Experiments
00521, The Field Experiments Website.
- List, John A. & Co, Catherine Y., 2000. "The Effects of Environmental Regulations on Foreign Direct Investment," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 1-20, July.
- Wayne B Gray, 1997.
"Manufacturing Plant Location: Does State Pollution Regulation Matter?,"
97-8, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Wayne B. Gray, 1997. "Manufacturing Plant Location: Does State Pollution Regulation Matter?," NBER Working Papers 5880, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Boozer, Michael A., 1997. "Econometric Analysis of Panel Data Badi H. Baltagi Wiley, 1995," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(05), pages 747-754, October.
- Randy A. Becker & J. Vernon Henderson, 2001.
"Costs of Air Quality Regulation,"
in: Behavioral and Distributional Effects of Environmental Policy, pages 159-186
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Levinson, Arik, 1996. "Environmental regulations and manufacturers' location choices: Evidence from the Census of Manufactures," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1-2), pages 5-29, October.
- Michael Greenstone, 2002. "The Impacts of Environmental Regulations on Industrial Activity: Evidence from the 1970 and 1977 Clean Air Act Amendments and the Census of Manufactures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(6), pages 1175-1219, December.
- Wolfgang Keller & Arik Levinson, 1999. "Environmental Compliance Costs and Foreign Direct Investment Inflows to U.S. States," NBER Working Papers 7369, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Randy Becker & Vernon Henderson, 1997. "Effects of Air Quality Regulation on in Polluting Industries," NBER Working Papers 6160, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eli Berman & Linda T. Bui, 1997. "band Labor Demand: Evidence from the South Coast Air Basin," NBER Working Papers 6299, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:7297. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.