On the Public Economics of Casino Gambling
This paper studies casino-style gambling from the public economics point of view in a jurisdiction populated by oligopolistically competitive legal casinos. We consider three different regimes: laissez-faire, entry regulation and tax regulation. The model highlights three important external effects from casino-style gambling: non-casino income creation, social disorder costs, and casino exporting to other jurisdictions. In the generalized case with an endogenously-determined ratio of local to total gamblers, we allow the configuration of casinos to be centralized or jurisdiction-wide dispersed. A complete comparison between equilibrium and command optimum outcomes is provided, and the welfare consequences under the three regimes and two casino configurations are examined.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 886-2-27822791|
Web page: http://www.econ.sinica.edu.tw/index.php?foreLang=enEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Earl L. Grinols & David B. Mustard, 2001. "Management and information issues for industries with externalities: the case of casino gambling," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(1-3), pages 1-3.
- Becker, Gary S, 1983. "A Theory of Competition among Pressure Groups for Political Influence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(3), pages 371-400, August.
- Ricardo C. Gazel & Dan S. Rickman & William N. Thompson, 2001. "Casino gambling and crime: a panel study of Wisconsin counties," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(1-3), pages 65-75.
- Thomas A. Garrett, 2004. "Casino gaming and local employment trends," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jan, pages 9-22.
- Seade, Jesus K, 1980. "On the Effects of Entry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(2), pages 479-89, March.
- William R. Eadington, 1999. "The Economics of Casino Gambling," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 13(3), pages 173-192, Summer.
- Raymond D. Sauer, 2001. "The political economy of gambling regulation," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(1-3), pages 5-15.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Michael D. Whinston, 1986. "Free Entry and Social Inefficiency," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(1), pages 48-58, Spring.
- Julie Hunsaker, 2001. "The impact of riverboat casinos on the demand for gambling at casino resorts: a theoretical and empirical investigation," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(1-3), pages 97-111.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sin:wpaper:04-a005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (HsiaoyunLiu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.