Inter-regional Migration: The UK experience
This paper looks at the scenario of intra-UK migration amongst its four regions. The level of intra-UK migration is significant and is increasing over time. Using several measures of the balance in migration we observe that, broadly speaking, the balance is improving. We also examine the impact of changes in the regional per capita GDPs and unemployment levels on regional migration using panel analysis. Several authors find these to be significant factors in international migration. However, it seems that neither regional per capita GDP nor the unemployment level has a significant effect on regional migration in the UK (although the regression coefficients have the correct signs). In the case of regional migration in the UK, it is other characteristics of the source and destination regions which appear to matter most.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2008|
|Date of revision:||Feb 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 9 Mappin Street, SHEFFIELD, S1 4DT|
Phone: +44 114 222 3399
Fax: + 44 (0)114 222 3458
Web page: http://www.shef.ac.uk/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pissarides, Christopher A & Wadsworth, Jonathan, 1989. "Unemployment and the Inter-regional Mobility of Labour," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(397), pages 739-55, September.
- Timothy J. Hatton & Massimiliano Tani, 2005.
"Immigration and Inter-Regional Mobility in the UK, 1982-2000,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(507), pages F342-F358, November.
- Hatton, Timothy J. & Tani, Massimiliano, 2003. "Immigration and Inter-Regional Mobility in the UK, 1982-2000," CEPR Discussion Papers 4061, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hatton, Timothy J & Massimiliano Tani, 2003. "Immigration and Inter-Regional Mobility in the UK, 1982-2000," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 101, Royal Economic Society.
- Ghatak, Subrata & Levine, Paul & Price, Stephen Wheatley, 1996. " Migration Theories and Evidence: An Assessment," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(2), pages 159-198, June.
- Brander, James A., 1981.
"Intra-industry trade in identical commodities,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 1-14, February.
- Tapan Biswas & Jolian McHardy, 2001. "On the intensity and balance of intra-European migration," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(4), pages 505-520.
- McCormick, Barry, 1997. "Regional unemployment and labour mobility in the UK," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 581-589, April.
- Tapan Biswas & Jolian McHardy, 2005. "Measuring the balance of intra-regional migration," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(19), pages 2221-2230.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:shf:wpaper:2008003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jacob Holmes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.