Softening Competition by Enhancing Entry: An Example from the Banking Industry
We show that competing firms relax overall competition by lowering future barriers to entry. We illustrate our findings in a two-period model with adverse selection where banks strategically commit to disclose borrower information. By doing this, they invite rivals to enter their market. Disclosure of borrower information increases an entrant's second-period profits. This dampens competition for serving the first-period market.
|Date of creation:||01 Sep 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Industrial Economics, 2003, vol. 54, pages 27-52|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 081 - 675372
Fax: +39 081 - 675372
Web page: http://www.csef.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bester,Helmut, 1988.
"Bertrand equilibrium in a differentiated duopoly,"
Discussion Paper Serie A
209, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Nilssen, T., 1990.
"Two Kinds of Consumer Switching Costs,"
12-90, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Thomas Gehrig & Rune Stenbacka, 2000.
"Information Sharing in Banking: A Collusive Device?,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1837, Econometric Society.
- Gehrig, Thomas & Stenbacka, Rune, 2001. "Information Sharing in Banking: A Collusive Device?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2911, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jappelli, Tullio & Pagano, Marco, 1991.
"Information Sharing in Credit Markets,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
579, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Steven A. Sharpe, 1989.
"Asymmetric information, bank lending, and implicit contracts: a stylized model of customer relationships,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
70, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Sharpe, Steven A, 1990. " Asymmetric Information, Bank Lending, and Implicit Contracts: A Stylized Model of Customer Relationships," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1069-87, September.
- Jan Bouckaert & Hans Degryse, 2002.
"Entry and Strategic Information Display in Credit Markets,"
CSEF Working Papers
79, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Jan Bouckaert & Hans Degryse, 2006. "Entry and Strategic Information Display in Credit Markets," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(513), pages 702-720, 07.
- Klemperer, Paul, 1995. "Competition When Consumers Have Switching Costs: An Overview with Applications to Industrial Organization, Macroeconomics, and International Trade," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(4), pages 515-39, October.
- Tullio Jappelli & Marco Pagano, 2000. "Information Sharing in Credit Markets: A Survey," CSEF Working Papers 36, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Ezra Friedman & Robert Marquez, 1999. "Adverse Selection as a Barrier to Entry in the Banking Industry," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 30(3), pages 515-534, Autumn.
- Aghion, Philippe & Bolton, Patrick, 1987. "Contracts as a Barrier to Entry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(3), pages 388-401, June.
- Padilla, A Jorge & Pagano, Marco, 1997.
"Endogenous Communication among Lenders and Entrepreneurial Incentives,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(1), pages 205-36.
- Padilla, Atilano Jorge & Pagano, Marco, 1996. "Endogenous Communication Among Lenders and Entrepreneurial Incentives," CEPR Discussion Papers 1295, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Padilla, A.J. & Pagano, M., 1994. "Endogenous Communication Among Lenders and Entrepreneurial Incentives," Papers 9407, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Kallberg, Jarl G. & Udell, Gregory F., 2003. "The value of private sector business credit information sharing: The US case," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 449-469, March.
- Rajan, Raghuram G, 1992. " Insiders and Outsiders: The Choice between Informed and Arm's-Length Debt," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1367-400, September.
- von Thadden, Ernst-Ludwig, 2004.
"Asymmetric information, bank lending and implicit contracts: the winner's curse,"
Finance Research Letters,
Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 11-23, March.
- Ernst-Ludwig VON THADDEN, 1998. "Asymmetric Information, Bank Lending and Implicit Contracts : The Winner's Curse," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9809, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, June.
- Tullio Jappelli & Marco Pagano, 2000. "Information Sharing in Credit Markets: The European Experience," CSEF Working Papers 35, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Nilssen, Tore, 2000. "Consumer lock-in with asymmetric information," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 641-666, May.
- Xavier Vives, 2001. "Competition in the Changing World of Banking," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(4), pages 535-547.
- Thomas Rønde, 2001. "Trade Secrets and Information Sharing," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(3), pages 391-417, 09.
- Klemperer, Paul D, 1987. "Entry Deterrence in Markets with Consumer Switching Costs," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(388a), pages 99-117, Supplemen.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sef:csefwp:85. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lia Ambrosio)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.