Borrower Poaching and Information Display in Credit Markets
The Riegle-Neal Act in the US and the Economic and Monetary Union in Europe are recent initiatives to stimulate financial integration. These initiatives allow new entrants to ‘poach’ the incumbents' clients by offering them attractive loan offers. We show that these deregulations may be insufficient since asymmetric information seriously hampers the integration of credit markets. This asymmetry stems from the informational advantage incumbent banks have about their current clients vis-a-vis potential entrants. Moreover, banks may strategically display some information, hindering entry when asymmetric information is moderate. We also show that voluntary information sharing emerges only when asymmetric information is low.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Ezra Friedman & Robert Marquez, 1999. "Adverse Selection as a Barrier to Entry in the Banking Industry," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 30(3), pages 515-534, Autumn.
- A. Jorge Padilla & Marco Pagano, 1999.
"Sharing Default Information as a Borrower Discipline Device,"
CSEF Working Papers
21, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Padilla, A. Jorge & Pagano, Marco, 2000. "Sharing default information as a borrower discipline device," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(10), pages 1951-1980, December.
- A. Jorge Padilla & Marco Pagano, 1996. "Sharing Default Information as a Borrower Discipline Device," Papers 0073, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Padilla, A.J. & Pagano, M., 1999. "Sharing Default Information as a Borrower Discipline Device," Papers 9911, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Padilla, A.J. & Pagano, M., 1996. "Sharing Default Information as a Borrower Discipline Device," Papers 73, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- A Jorge Padilla & Marco Pagano, 1994. "Sharing Default Information as a Borrower Discipline Device," CEPR Financial Markets Paper 0043, European Science Foundation Network in Financial Markets, c/o C.E.P.R, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ..
- Thomas Gehrig & Rune Stenbacka, 2000.
"Information Sharing in Banking: A Collusive Device?,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1837, Econometric Society.
- Gehrig, Thomas & Stenbacka, Rune, 2001. "Information Sharing in Banking: A Collusive Device?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2911, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Diamond, Douglas W, 1991. "Monitoring and Reputation: The Choice between Bank Loans and Directly Placed Debt," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(4), pages 689-721, August.
- J. Miguel Villas-Boas, 1999. "Dynamic Competition with Customer Recognition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 30(4), pages 604-631, Winter.
- Yongmin Chen, 1997. "Paying Customers to Switch," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(4), pages 877-897, December.
- Farinha, Luisa A. & Santos, Joao A. C., 2002.
"Switching from Single to Multiple Bank Lending Relationships: Determinants and Implications,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 124-151, April.
- João A. C. Santos & Luísa A. Farinha, 2000. "Switching from single to multiple bank lending relationships: determinants and implications," BIS Working Papers 83, Bank for International Settlements.
- Krigman, Laurie & Shaw, Wayne H. & Womack, Kent L., 2001. "Why do firms switch underwriters?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2-3), pages 245-284, May.
- J. Miguel Villas-Boas & Udo Schmidt-Mohr, 1999. "Oligopoly with Asymmetric Information: Differentiation in Credit Markets," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 30(3), pages 375-396, Autumn.
- Rajan, Raghuram G, 1992. " Insiders and Outsiders: The Choice between Informed and Arm's-Length Debt," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1367-400, September.
- Broecker, Thorsten, 1990. "Credit-Worthiness Tests and Interbank Competition," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(2), pages 429-52, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:2936. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.