Measuring the Level of Competition in the Argentine Banking Industry
Loan rates in Argentina are high. The objective of this work is to test if market power is one of the causes of these levels of interest rates and to measure its effects. For that purpose we work with data of the period 1994-1999. The tests indicate that there is market power in the peso operation sector and perfect competition can not be rejected in the dollar operation sector. We also find that there was no significant change in our measure of market power during the years we have analyzed.
|Date of creation:||May 2001|
|Date of revision:||May 2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Vito Dumas 284, Victoria, Buenos Aires, B1644BID|
Web page: http://www.udesa.edu.ar
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1989. "Competition in the U.S. banking industry," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 321-323.
- Rajan, Raghuram G, 1992. " Insiders and Outsiders: The Choice between Informed and Arm's-Length Debt," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1367-400, September.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1982. "The oligopoly solution concept is identified," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 87-92.
- Marcelo Dabos, 1996. "Crisis Bancaria y Medicion de Riesgo de Default. Metodos y el Caso de los Bancos Cooperativos en Argentina," Working Papers 12, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Jul 1996.
- Sharpe, Steven A, 1990.
" Asymmetric Information, Bank Lending, and Implicit Contracts: A Stylized Model of Customer Relationships,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1069-87, September.
- Steven A. Sharpe, 1989. "Asymmetric information, bank lending, and implicit contracts: a stylized model of customer relationships," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 70, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Alli Nathan & Edwin H. Neave, 1989. "Competition and Contestability in Canada's Financial System: Empirical Results," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 22(3), pages 576-94, August.
- Gilbert, R Alton, 1984. "Bank Market Structure and Competition: A Survey," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 16(4), pages 617-44, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sad:wpaper:34. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tamara Sulaque)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.