Asymmetry and Discrimination in Internet Peering Evidence from the LINX
Is the quality of interconnection between Internet operators affected by their asymmetry? While recent game theoretic literature provides contrasting answers to this question, there is a lack of empirical research. We introduce a novel dataset based on Internet routing policies, and study the interconnection decisions amongst the Internet Service Providers (ISPs) members of the London Internet Exchange Point (LINX). Our results show that interconnection quality degradation can be significantly explained by asymmetry between providers. We also show that Competition Authorities should focus more on the role played by the "centrality of an operator", rather than on its market share.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Newlands on Main, F0301 3rd Floor Mariendahl House, cnr Campground and Main Rds, Claremont, 7700 Cape Town|
Phone: 021 671-3980
Fax: +27 21 671 3912
Web page: http://www.econrsa.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Foros, Oystein & Kind, Hans Jarle & Sorgard, Lars, 2002.
"Access Pricing, Quality Degradation, and Foreclosure in the Internet,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 59-83, July.
- Foros, Oystein & Kind, Hans Jarle & SÃ¸rgard, Lars, 2003. "Access Pricing, Quality Degradation, and Foreclosure in the Internet," University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series qt62p0k04c, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Mason, R., 1999. "Compatibility between differentiated networks," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 9909, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Giovannetti, Emanuele, 2002.
"Interconnection, differentiation and bottlenecks in the Internet,"
Information Economics and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 385-404, September.
- Giovannetti, E., 2000. "Interconnection, Differentiation and Bottlenecks in the Internet," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0011, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Narine Badasyan & Subhadip Chakrabarti, 2003. "Private Peering Among Internet Backbone Providers," Microeconomics 0301003, EconWPA.
- Narine Badasyan & Subhadip Chakrabarti, 2003. "Private Peering Among Internet Backbone Providers," Industrial Organization 0301002, EconWPA, revised 20 Jan 2003.
- Jackson, Matthew O. & Wolinsky, Asher, 1996. "A Strategic Model of Social and Economic Networks," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 44-74, October.
- Matthew O. Jackson & Asher Wolinsky, 1994. "A Strategic Model of Social and Economic Networks," Discussion Papers 1098, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Matthew O. Jackson & Asher Wolinsky, 1995. "A Strategic Model of Social and Economic Networks," Discussion Papers 1098R, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Pio Baake & Thorsten Wichmann, 1999. "On the economics of Internet peering," Netnomics, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 89-105, October.
- Thorsten Wichmann & Pio Baake, 1998. "On the Economics of Internet Peering," Berlecon Research Papers 0004, Berlecon Research.
- Takanori Ida, 2005. "Analysis of Internet topology with a three-level components model," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(8), pages 527-534.
- Foros, Oystein & Hansen, Bjorn, 2001. "Competition and compatibility among Internet Service Providers," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 411-425, December.
- Venkatesh Bala & Sanjeev Goyal, 2000. "A Noncooperative Model of Network Formation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(5), pages 1181-1230, September.
- Cremer, Jacques & Rey, Patrick & Tirole, Jean, 2000. "Connectivity in the Commercial Internet," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(4), pages 433-472, December.
- Giovannetti, Emanuele & Ristuccia, Cristiano Andrea, 2005. "Estimating market power in the Internet backbone. Using the IP transit Band-X database," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 269-284, May.
- Martin B. Weiss & Seung Jae Shin, 2004. "Internet Interconnection Economic Model and its Analysis: Peering and Settlement," Netnomics, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 43-57, April.
- Economides, Nicholas, 1998. "The incentive for non-price discrimination by an input monopolist," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 271-284, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rza:wpaper:102. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charles Tanton)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.