Inequality and Growth: Does Time Change Anything?
The econometric analysis of economic growth has always been subject to major flaws and shortcomings. Data scarcity and reliability, parameter heterogeneity, omitted variable bias, endogeneity problems, … have seriously tainted estimation results. In this paper we propose an alternative framework that explicitly deals with these issues. We investigate the relation between income inequality and economic growth in a number of OECD countries in a cointegrated VAR-setting. Our results suggest that different models hold for different countries. However, for most countries the imperfect markets model better describes reality than the complete markets model.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hoveniersberg 4, B-9000 Gent|
Phone: ++ 32 (0) 9 264 34 61
Fax: ++ 32 (0) 9 264 35 92
Web page: http://www.ugent.be/eb
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan B. Krueger & Mikael Lindahl, 2000.
"Education for Growth: Why and For Whom?,"
NBER Working Papers
7591, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fabio Canova, 2004.
"Testing for Convergence Clubs in Income Per Capita: A Predictive Density Approach,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 45(1), pages 49-77, 02.
- Canova, Fabio, 1999. "Testing for Convergence Clubs in Income per-capita: A Predictive Density Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 2201, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fabio Canova, 1997. "Testing for convergence clubs in income per-capita: A predictive density approach," Economics Working Papers 404, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jun 1999.
- Canova, Fabio, 2001. "Testing for convergence clubs in income per-capita : a predictive density approach," HWWA Discussion Papers 139, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Banerjee, Abhijit V & Duflo, Esther, 2003.
"Inequality and Growth: What Can the Data Say?,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 267-99, September.
- Anthony C. Atkinson, 2003.
"Income Inequality in OECD Countries: Data and Explanations,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
881, CESifo Group Munich.
- A. B. Atkinson, 2003. "Income Inequality in OECD Countries: Data and Explanations," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 49(4), pages 479-513.
- William A. Brock & Steven N.Durlauf, 2000.
"Growth Economics and Reality,"
NBER Working Papers
8041, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anthony B. Atkinson & Andrea Brandolini, 2000.
"Promise and Pitfalls in the Use of 'Secondary' Data-Sets: Income Inequality in OECD Countries,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
379, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Atkinson, A.B. & Brandolini, A., 2000. "Promise and Pitfalls in the Use of 'Secondary' Data -Sets: Income Inequality in OECD Countries," Papers 379, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Stephen Knowles, 2005.
"Inequality and Economic Growth: The Empirical Relationship Reconsidered in the Light of Comparable Data,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(1), pages 135-159.
- Knowles, Stephen, 2001. "Inequality and Economic Growth: The Empirical Relationship Reconsidered in the Light of Comparable Data," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Rehme, Gunther, 2002.
"(Re)Distribution of Personal Incomes, Education and Economic Performance Across Countries,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Günther Rehme, 2002. "(Re-)Distribution of Personal Incomes, Education and Economic Performance Across Countries," CESifo Working Paper Series 711, CESifo Group Munich.
- William R. Hauk & Romain Wacziarg, 2004.
"A Monte Carlo Study of Growth Regressions,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0296, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sonedda, Daniela, 2003. "Wealth Inequality, Income Redistribution and Growth in 15 OECD countries," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 190, Royal Economic Society.
- Danny Quah, 2000. "Cross Country Growth Comparison: Theory to Empirics," CEP Discussion Papers dp0442, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rug:rugwps:04/230. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Verhaeghe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.