Beyond growth and development: Buen Vivir as an alternative to current paradigms
The aim of this paper is to investigate to what extent buen vivir ("good life"), Latin America’s new concept for collective well being, can be considered a way forward beyond current paradigms related to economic growth, development, ideology and state building, with its strengths and potential weaknesses or just a new version of political discourse. In order to answer this question, we will briefly review the literature that can help to trace the buen vivir origins in the cosmovisions of latinoamerican indigenous peoples, and to connect it to reflections made in different areas of social, economic and political sciences, trying to identify the areas in which divergences arise using established approaches and frameworks. In the conclusions we’ll also try to look at the added value brought by the buen vivir towards a renewed understanding of political, social, economic objectives of the associated life.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Silvio d'Amico 77, - 00145 Rome Italy|
Phone: +39 06 57114612
Fax: +39 06 57114771
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/dipartimenti/economia/it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cornia, Giovanni Andrea & Jolly, Richard & Stewart, Frances (ed.), 1987. "Adjustment with a Human Face: Volume 1, Protecting the Vulnerable and Promoting Growth," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198286097, December.
- Ingrid Robeyns, 2005. "The Capability Approach: a theoretical survey," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 93-117.
- Hamid Hosseini, 2003. "Why development is more complex than growth: clarifying some confusions," Review of Social Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 61(1), pages 91-110.
- Jacob A. Mincer, 1974. "Schooling, Experience, and Earnings," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number minc74-1, Enero.
- Valeria Costantini & Salvatore Monni, 2006.
"Environment, human development and economic growth,"
Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre'
0062, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Costantini, Valeria & Monni, Salvatore, 2008. "Environment, human development and economic growth," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(4), pages 867-880, February.
- Valeria Costantini & Salvatore Monni, 2006. "Environment, Human Development and Economic Growth," Working Papers 2006.35, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Sen, Amartya, 1983. "Development: Which Way Now?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(372), pages 742-62, December.
- Luiz Carlos Bresser-Pereira, 2002. "Brazil's Quasi-Stagnation and the Growth cum Foreign Savings Strategy," International Journal of Political Economy, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 32(4), pages 76-102, January.
- Catherine Walsh, 2010. "Development as Buen Vivir: Institutional arrangements and (de)colonial entanglements," Development, Palgrave Macmillan;Society for International Deveopment, vol. 53(1), pages 15-21, March.
- Sakiko Fukuda-Parr, 2003. "The Human Development Paradigm: Operationalizing Sen'S Ideas On Capabilities," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2-3), pages 301-317.
- Costantini Valeria & Monni Salvatore, 2008. "Sustainability and Human Development," Economia politica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 11-32.
- Gow, David D. & Morss, Elliott R., 1988. "The notorious nine: Critical problems in project implementation," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 16(12), pages 1399-1418, December.
- Valeria Costantini & Salvatore Monni, 2005. "Sustainable Human Development for European Countries," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(3), pages 329-351.
- Streeten, Paul & Burki, Shahid Javed, 1978. "Basic needs: Some issues," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 411-421, March.
- Salvatore Monni & Alessandro Spaventa, 2010. "Shifting the Focus from Paradigms to Goals: A New Approach Towards Defining and Assessing Wellbeing," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0114, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Jameson, Kenneth P., 1986. "Latin American structuralism: A methodological perspective," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 223-232, February.
- Pereira, Luiz C. Bresser, 2009. "From old to new developmentalism in Latin America," Textos para discussão 193, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- World Commission on Environment and Development,, 1987. "Our Common Future," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780192820808, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rtr:wpaper:0172. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Telephone for information)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.