Dual Approaches to the Analysis of Risk Aversion
Dual approaches have proved their value in many areas of economic analysis. Until recently, however, they have been virtually ignored in the analysis of choice under uncertainty.In this paper, we present a dual formulation of choice under uncertainty based on a few simple assumptions about preferences, namely, continuity, monotonicity and convexity of preference sets. Particular emphasis is given to showing that the additive separability restriction, key to expected-utility theory, on preferences can be dropped with little loss of analytic power for a broad class of choice problems.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Colin Clark Building, no 39, St. Lucia, Qld. 4072|
Phone: +61 7 3365 6601
Fax: +61 7 3365 6601
Web page: http://www.uq.edu.au/rsmg/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1991. "The Rank of Demand Systems: Theory and Nonparametric Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 711-30, May.
- Feder, Gershon, 1977. "The impact of uncertainty in a class of objective functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 504-512, December.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Chung, Yangho & Fare, Rolf, 1996. "Benefit and Distance Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 407-419, August.
- Segal, Uzi & Spivak, Avia, 1990.
"First order versus second order risk aversion,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 111-125, June.
- Peleg, Bezalel, 1975. "Efficient random variables," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 243-252.
- Lwebel Arthur & Perraudin William, 1995. "A Theorem on Portfolio Separation with General Preferences," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 624-626, April.
- Machina, Mark J, 2001. "Payoff Kinks in Preferences over Lotteries," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 207-60, November.
- Frank Milne, 1979. "Consumer Preferences, Linear Demand Functions and Aggregation in Competitive Asset Markets," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(3), pages 407-417.
- Safra, Zvi & Segal, Uzi, 1998. "Constant Risk Aversion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 19-42, November.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1971. "On the Theory of the Competitive Firm under Price Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 65-73, March.
- Gilboa, Itzhak & Schmeidler, David, 1989.
"Maxmin expected utility with non-unique prior,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 141-153, April.
- Epstein, Larry G. & Zin, Stanley E., 1990.
"'First-order' risk aversion and the equity premium puzzle,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 387-407, December.
- L. Epstein & S. Zin, 2010. "First order risk aversion and the equity premium puzzle," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1400, David K. Levine.
- Brennan, M. J. & Kraus, A., 1976. "The Geometry of Separation and Myopia," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(02), pages 171-193, June.
- Cass, David & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "The structure of investor preferences and asset returns, and separability in portfolio allocation: A contribution to the pure theory of mutual funds," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 122-160, June.
- Thibault Gadjos & Jean-Marc Tallon & Jean-Christophe Vergnaud, 2002.
"Decision Making with Imprecise Probabilistic Information,"
2002-33, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Gajdos, Thibault & Tallon, Jean-Marc & Vergnaud, Jean-Christophe, 2004. "Decision making with imprecise probabilistic information," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 647-681, September.
- Thibault Gajdos & Jean-Marc Tallon & Jean-Christophe Vergnaud, 2002. "Decision Making with Imprecise Probabilistic Information," ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series 18-2003, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research, revised May 2003.
- Thibault Gajdos & Jean-Marc Tallon & Jean-Christophe Vergnaud, 2004. "Decision Making with Imprecise Probabilistic Information," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00086021, HAL.
- Quiggin, John & Chambers, Robert G, 1998. "Risk Premiums and Benefit Measures for Generalized-Expected-Utility Theories," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 121-37, November.
- Robert G. Chambers & Rolf Färe, 1998. "Translation homotheticity," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 11(3), pages 629-641.
- Milgrom, Paul, 1994. "Comparing Optima: Do Simplifying Assumptions Affect Conclusions?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(3), pages 607-15, June.
- Luenberger, David G., 1992. "Benefit functions and duality," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 461-481.
- Blackorby, Charles & Donaldson, David, 1980. "A Theoretical Treatment of Indices of Absolute Inequality," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 21(1), pages 107-36, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rsm:riskun:r06_1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Adamson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.