Extractive Industries and Local Development in the Peruvian Highlands: Socio-Economic Impacts of the Mid-1990s Mining Boom
Since the late Nineties, the mining sector in Peru has been experiencing a protracted period of rapid growth. This paper investigates local impacts of the mining boom on migration, on access to basic services, on labour market and on occupational distribution across sectors. By applying propensity score matching technique, mining and non-mining districts are compared. The results show that recent mining expansion has encouraged migration inflows to mining districts and affected the sectoral composition of the labor force in these areas. However, despite the great expectations and the new institutional and legislative settings, the mining growth has not produced a multiplicative effect on non-mining and non-agricultural activities and did not boost a process of economic diversification towards non-primary sector. Finally, the analysis shows a significant heterogeneity in impacts on labour opportunities and on access to basic services across rural and urban areas, and between districts with a long history of mining exploitation and new mining areas.
|Date of creation:||08 Mar 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Convento, Via delle Fontanelle, 19, 50014 San Domenico di Fiesole (FI) Italy|
Web page: http://www.eui.eu/RSCAS/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frederick van der Ploeg & Steven Poelhekke, 2008.
"Volatility, Financial Development and the Natural Resource Curse,"
OxCarre Working Papers
003, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- Frederick van der Ploeg & Steven Poelhekke, 2007. "Volatility, Financial Development and the Natural Resource Curse," Economics Working Papers ECO2007/36, European University Institute.
- Poelhekke, Steven & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 2007. "Volatility, Financial Development and the Natural Resource Curse," CEPR Discussion Papers 6513, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eduardo Zegarra & José Carlos Orihuela & Maritza Paredes, 2007. "¿Minería y economía de los hogares en la sierra peruana: impactos y espacios de conflicto," Documentos de Investigación dt51, Grupo de Análisis para el Desarrollo (GRADE).
- Anthony Bebbington & Leonith Hinojosa & Denise Humphreys Bebbington & Maria Luisa Burneo & Ximena Warnaars, 2008. "Contention and Ambiguity: Mining and the Possibilities of Development," Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper Series 5708, BWPI, The University of Manchester.
- Sascha O. Becker & Andrea Ichino, 2002. "Estimation of average treatment effects based on propensity scores," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 2(4), pages 358-377, November.
- Ning Ding & Barry C. Field, 2005. "Natural Resource Abundance and Economic Growths," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 81(4).
- Yelpaala, Kaakpema & Ali, Saleem H., 2005. "Multiple scales of diamond mining in Akwatia, Ghana: addressing environmental and human development impact," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 145-155, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rsc:rsceui:2011/14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RSCAS web unit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.