Artisanal versus industrial mining: impacts on poverty in regions of Burkina Faso
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Owen, John R. & Kemp, Deanna, 2013. "Social licence and mining: A critical perspective," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 29-35.
- Andriamasinoro, Fenintsoa & Angel, Jean-Michel, 2012. "Artisanal and small-scale gold mining in Burkina Faso: Suggestion of multi-agent methodology as a complementary support in elaborating a policy," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 385-396.
- Valerie Cerra & Sweta Chaman Saxena, 2008.
"Growth Dynamics: The Myth of Economic Recovery,"
American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(1), pages 439-457, March.
- Ms. Valerie Cerra & Ms. Sweta Chaman Saxena, 2005. "Growth Dynamics: The Myth of Economic Recovery," IMF Working Papers 2005/147, International Monetary Fund.
- Valerie Cerra & Sweta Chaman Saxena, 2007. "Growth dynamics: the myth of economic recovery," BIS Working Papers 226, Bank for International Settlements.
- Valerie Cerra & Sweta C. Saxena, 2005. "Growth Dynamics: The Myth of Economic Recovery," Macroeconomics 0508008, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-766, May.
- Haslam, Paul Alexander & Ary Tanimoune, Nasser, 2016. "The Determinants of Social Conflict in the Latin American Mining Sector: New Evidence with Quantitative Data," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 78(C), pages 401-419.
- B. James Deaton & Ekaterina Niman, 2012. "An empirical examination of the relationship between mining employment and poverty in the Appalachian region," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(3), pages 303-312, January.
- Ticci, Elisa & Escobal, Javier, 2015.
"Extractive industries and local development in the Peruvian Highlands,"
Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(1), pages 101-126, February.
- Elisa Ticci & Javier Escobal, 2012. "Exctractive Industries and Local Development in the Peruvian Highlands," Working Papers - Economics wp2012_22.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Elisa Ticci & Javier Escobal, 2013. "Extractive Industries and Local Development in the Peruvian Highlands," Department of Economics University of Siena 693, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Ouoba, Youmanli, 2017. "Economic sustainability of the gold mining industry in Burkina Faso," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 194-203.
- Leo Zulu & Sigismond Wilson, 2012. "Whose Minerals, Whose Development? Rhetoric and Reality in Post-Conflict Sierra Leone," Development and Change, International Institute of Social Studies, vol. 43(5), pages 1103-1131, September.
- Hilson, Gavin, 2009. "Small-scale mining, poverty and economic development in sub-Saharan Africa: An overview," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 1-5.
- Abdoulaye Zonon, 2006. "Comment réduire les écarts régionaux de pauvreté dans le contexte de la décentralisation ?," Mondes en développement, De Boeck Université, vol. 133(1), pages 31-44.
- Postali, Fernando Antonio Slaibe, 2009. "Petroleum royalties and regional development in Brazil: The economic growth of recipient towns," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 205-213, December.
- Banerjee, Abhijit Vinayak & Benabou, Roland & Mookherjee, Dilip (ed.), 2006. "Understanding Poverty," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195305203.
- Fisher, Eleanor & Mwaipopo, Rosemarie & Mutagwaba, Wilson & Nyange, David & Yaron, Gil, 2009. ""The ladder that sends us to wealth": Artisanal mining and poverty reduction in Tanzania," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 32-38.
- Javier Arellano-Yanguas, 2011. "Aggravating the Resource Curse: Decentralisation, Mining and Conflict in Peru," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(4), pages 617-638.
- Sachs, Jeffrey D. & Warner, Andrew M., 2001. "The curse of natural resources," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 827-838, May.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Haslam, Paul Alexander & Ary Tanimoune, Nasser & Razeq, Zarlasht M., 2019. "Is “being foreign” a liability for mining companies? Locational liabilities and social conflict in Latin America," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 1-1.
- Paul Alexander Haslam, 2020. "States and Firms Co-producing Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) in the Developing World," Journal of Developing Societies, , vol. 36(3), pages 270-289, September.
- Gómez-Valenzuela, Víctor & Alpízar, Francisco & Bonilla, Solhanlle & Franco-Billini, Carol, 2020. "Mining conflict in the Dominican Republic: The case of Loma Miranda," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 66(C).
- Karakaya, Emrah & Nuur, Cali, 2018. "Social sciences and the mining sector: Some insights into recent research trends," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 58(C), pages 257-267.
- Marion Mercier & Rama Lionel Ngenzebuke & Philip Verwimp, 2016. "Violence Exposure and Welfare over Time: Evidence from the Burundi Civil War," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2015-32, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Michieka, Nyakundi M. & Gearhart, Richard S., 2018. "Resource curse? The case of Kern County," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 446-459.
- Aviral K. Tiwari & Claudiu T. Albulescu & Rangan Gupta, 2016.
"Time-frequency relationship between US output with commodity and asset prices,"
Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(3), pages 227-242, January.
- Aviral K. Tiwari & Claudiu T. Albulescu & Rangan Gupta, 2015. "Time-Frequency Relationship between U.S. Output with Commodity and Asset Prices," Working Papers 201523, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Haslam, Paul Alexander, 2021. "The micro-politics of corporate responsibility: How companies shape protest in communities affected by mining," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 139(C).
- Betz, Michael R. & Partridge, Mark D. & Farren, Michael & Lobao, Linda, 2015.
"Coal mining, economic development, and the natural resources curse,"
Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 105-116.
- Betz, Mike & Farren, Michael & Lobao, Linda & Partridge, Mark D., 2014. "Coal Mining, Economic Development, and the Natural Resource Curse," MPRA Paper 58016, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sauerwein, Titus, 2020. "Gold mining and development in Côte d’Ivoire: Trajectories, opportunities and oversights," Land Use Policy, Elsevier, vol. 91(C).
- Loayza, Norman & Rigolini, Jamele, 2016.
"The Local Impact of Mining on Poverty and Inequality: Evidence from the Commodity Boom in Peru,"
World Development, Elsevier, vol. 84(C), pages 219-234.
- Norman Loayza & Jamele Rigolini, 2015. "The Local Impact of Mining on Poverty and Inequality: Evidence from the Commodity Boom in Peru," Working Papers 2015-33, Peruvian Economic Association.
- Kilosho Buraye, Janvier & Stoop, Nik & Verpoorten, Marijke, 2017. "Defusing the social minefield of gold sites in Kamituga, South Kivu. From legal pluralism to the re-making of institutions?," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 53(C), pages 356-368.
- Ouoba, Youmanli, 2016. "Natural resources: Funds and economic performance of resource-rich countries," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 108-116.
- Mr. Garbis Iradian, 2007. "Rapid Growth in the CIS: Panel Regression Approach," IMF Working Papers 2007/170, International Monetary Fund.
- Angelo Antoci & Paolo Russu & Elisa Ticci, 2019. "Mining and Local Economies: Dilemma between Environmental Protection and Job Opportunities," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 11(22), pages 1-21, November.
- Amengual, Matthew, 2018. "Buying stability: The distributive outcomes of private politics in the Bolivian mining industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 104(C), pages 31-45.
- Geenen, Sara, 2014. "Dispossession, displacement and resistance: Artisanal miners in a gold concession in South-Kivu, Democratic Republic of Congo," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 90-99.
- Ge, Jianping & Lei, Yalin, 2013. "Mining development, income growth and poverty alleviation: A multiplier decomposition technique applied to China," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 278-287.
- Marion Mercier & Rama Lionel Ngenzebuke & Philip Verwimp, 2016. "Violence exposure and welfare over time: Evidence from the Burundi civil war," HiCN Working Papers 198 updated, Households in Conflict Network.
- Lombardo, Vincenzo, 2008. "Poor’s behaviour and inequality traps: the role of human capital," MPRA Paper 14511, University Library of Munich, Germany.
More about this item
KeywordsArtisanal mining; Industrial mining; Poverty; Mining conflicts; Burkina Faso;
All these keywords.
- L72 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Primary Products and Construction - - - Mining, Extraction, and Refining: Other Nonrenewable Resources
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
- Q33 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Nonrenewable Resources and Conservation - - - Resource Booms (Dutch Disease)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:minecn:v:30:y:2017:i:3:d:10.1007_s13563-017-0117-8. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Sonal Shukla or Springer Nature Abstracting and Indexing (email available below). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.