Analysis of Informal Obstacles to Cross-Border Economic Activity in Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan
The barriers to trade in developing countries constitute one of the major obstacles to economic development and growth. This study aims at addressing the issues surrounding the prevalence of informal trade barriers in Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan. While it appears to be logical that the strongest economies of Central Asia should increase trade volume with neighboring countries, in reality the potential for intensifying cross-border trade is barely being realized. This paper attempts to shed light on trade barriers in key industries in both countries, including manufacturing, transport, and agriculture. As can be seen from this study, these industries experience different types of restrictions and varying degrees of state intervention in Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan. The paper places special emphasis on informal barriers and the tools companies use to overcome those barriers. The paper is based on a survey of a total of 108 companies in both countries and the output of a roundtable discussion in Kazakhstan with representatives of companies and other experts in the above-mentioned industries.
|Date of creation:||01 May 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: (63-2) 636-2648
Web page: http://www.adb.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raballand, Gael & Kunth, Antoine & Auty, Richard, 2005. "Central Asia's transport cost burden and its impact on trade," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 6-31, March.
- Richard Pomfret, 2010.
"Trade and Transport in Central Asia,"
Other Working Papers
centasia2010trade, Emerging Markets Forum.
- Richard Pomfret, 2011. "Trade and Transport in Central Asia," Book Chapters, in: Werner Hermann & Johannes F. Linn (ed.), Central Asia and the Caucasus: At the Crossroads of Eurasia in the 21st Century, chapter 3, pages 43–62 Emerging Markets Forum.
- Richard Pomfret, 2010. "Trade and Transport in Central Asia," Global Journal of Emerging Market Economies, Emerging Markets Forum, vol. 2(3), pages 237-256, September.
- Roberts, Donna & Josling, Timothy E. & Orden, David, 1999. "A Framework for Analyzing Technical Trade Barriers in Agricultural Markets," Technical Bulletins 33560, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Alexandr V. Akimov & Brian Dollery, 2006. "Uzbekistan's Financial System. An Evaluation of Twelve Years of Transition," Problems of Economic Transition, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 48(12), pages 6-31, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:adbrei:0130. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ivan B. de Leon)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.