From a Centralized to a Decentralized Global Economic Architecture: An Overview
This paper argues that calls for a New Bretton Woods system in the aftermath of the global economic crisis—similar to the remarkable 1944 Bretton Woods conference that led to the establishment of various international economic institutions—are unlikely to be answered. The likely scenario is that the centralized architecture from before the global economic crisis will evolve toward a more decentralized and multilayered global architecture where regional institutions are linked together to a “senior” global organization in a complementary manner by rules and regulations. The paper also highlights the new regional institutions that Asia needs to establish to contribute to this evolving global economic architecture.
|Date of creation:||15 Jan 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kasumigaseki Building 8F, 3-2-5, Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-6008, Japan|
Fax: (81-3) 3593-5571
Web page: http://www.adbi.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barry J. Eichengreen, 2009.
"Out of the Box Thoughts about the International Financial Architecture,"
IMF Working Papers
09/116, International Monetary Fund.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2010. "Out-Of-The-Box Thoughts About The International Financial Architecture," Journal of International Commerce, Economics and Policy (JICEP), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 1(01), pages 1-20.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2011. "Out-of-the-Box Thoughts about the International Financial Architecture," Chapters, in: Handbook of Central Banking, Financial Regulation and Supervision, chapter 13 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- C. Randall Henning, 2011. "Coordinating Regional and Multilateral Financial Institutions," Working Paper Series WP11-9, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Masahiro Kawai & Peter A. Petri & Elif Sisli Ciamarra, 2010.
"Asia in Global Governance: A Case for Decentralized Institutions,"
in: Asian Regionalism in the World Economy, chapter 13
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Kawai, Masahiro & Petri, Peter & Sisli-Ciamarra, Elif, 2009. "Asia in Global Governance: A Case for Decentralized Institutions," ADBI Working Papers 157, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Rana, Pradumna Bickram & Chia, Wai-Mun & Jinjarak, Yothin, 2012. "Monetary integration in ASEAN+3: A perception survey of opinion leaders," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 1-12.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:adbiwp:0401. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marc Benger)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.