Growth of Asian Pension Assets: Implications for Financial and Capital Markets
Pension assets have seen rapid growth world-wide over the past decades, although they suffered large losses during the global financial crisis of 2007–2008. This paper seeks to identify the impact of Asian pension funds on selected key transmission mechanisms from pension reform to financial development. Utilizing a panel error correction model, we found a statistical relationship between pension asset growth and development of financial and capital markets. The main policy implication is that governments in Asia should continue and/or strengthen pension reforms towards more pre-funding of future liabilities, since it brings beneficial impacts on the financial market.
|Date of creation:||31 May 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: (81-3) 3593-5571
Web page: http://www.adbi.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Catalan, Mario & Impavido, Gregorio & Musalem, Alberto R., 2000. "Contractual savings or stock market development - Which leads?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2421, The World Bank.
- Lakonishok, Josef & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1992. "The impact of institutional trading on stock prices," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 23-43, August.
- Beck, Thorsten & Levine, Ross, 2004.
"Stock markets, banks, and growth: Panel evidence,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 423-442, March.
- Robert Holzmann, 1996.
"Pension Reform, Financial Market Development, and Economic Growth: Preliminary Evidence From Chile,"
IMF Working Papers
96/94, International Monetary Fund.
- Robert Holzmann, 1997. "Pension Reform, Financial Market Development, and Economic Growth: Preliminary Evidence from Chile," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 44(2), pages 149-178, June.
- Davis, E. Philip & Hu, Yu-Wei, 2008. "Does funding of pensions stimulate economic growth?," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 221-249, July.
- Impavido, Gregorio & Musalem, Alberto R. & Tressel, Thierry, 2003. "The impact of contractual savings institutions on securities markets," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2948, The World Bank.
- Impavido, Gregorio & Musalem, Alberto R. & Tressel, Thierry, 2001. "Contractual savings institutions and banks'stability and efficiency," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2751, The World Bank.
- Oecd, 2006. "The Impact of Pension Funds on Financial Markets," Financial Market Trends, OECD Publishing, vol. 2006(2), pages 145-167.
- Holzmann, Robert & Palacios, Robert & Zviniene, Asta, 2004. "Implicit pension debt: issues, measurement and scope in international perspective," Social Protection Discussion Papers 30153, The World Bank.
- Jorge A. Chan-Lau, 2004. "Pension Funds and Emerging Markets," IMF Working Papers 04/181, International Monetary Fund.
- Guercio, Diane Del & Hawkins, Jennifer, 1999. "The motivation and impact of pension fund activism," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 293-340, June.
- Ross Levine & Sara Zervos, .
"Stock markets, banks and economic growth ,"
CERF Discussion Paper Series
95-11, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- E Philip Davis & Yu-Wei Hu, 2005.
"Saving, Funding And Economic Growth,"
Economics and Finance Discussion Papers
05-02, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Channarith Meng & Wade Donald Pfau, 2010. "The Role of Pension Funds in Capital Market Development," GRIPS Discussion Papers 10-17, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Banerjee, Anindya, et al, 1986. "Exploring Equilibrium Relationships in Econometrics through Static Models: Some Monte Carlo Evidence," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 48(3), pages 253-77, August.
- Ray Barrell & Professor E. Philip Davis, 2004. "Consumption, Financial and Real Wealth in the G-5 (revised December 2004)," NIESR Discussion Papers 110, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Musalem, Alberto R. & Impavido, Gregorio & Tressel, Thierry, 2001. "Contractual savings, capital markets, and firms'financing choices," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2612, The World Bank.
- Wahal, Sunil, 1996. "Pension Fund Activism and Firm Performance," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 31(01), pages 1-23, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:adbiwp:0360. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Muriel S. Ordoñez)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.