The FTAA and the political economy of protection in Brazil and the US
This paper is divided in nine sections. A short introduction puts the subject matter in perspective in the context of the FTAA negotiations. Section 1 deals with obstacles to a successful conclusion of the FTAA both in Mercosur - especially in Brazil. The following section considers briefly how notions about reciprocity and balance of concessions have been applied in multilateral negotiations and how they may be adjusted in the case of negotiations involving free trade areas. The following two triads of sections refer to the United States (sections 3, 4 and 5) and Brazil (sections 6, 7 and 8). Sections 3 and 6 analyze in both economies how protectionist interests are distributed from the point of view of sectors affected and of their location (states and, for the United States, congressional districts). The relative importance of export interests by state is gauged in sections 4 and 7. The relative net balance of protectionist and export interests is evaluated in sections 5 and 8 under different assumptions in an effort to cope with the limitations of the measures used. Section 9 concludes.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 021 35271078
Fax: 021 35271084
Web page: http://www.econ.puc-rio.br
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marcelo de Paiva Abreu, 2004. "Trade Liberalization and the Political Economy of Protection in Brazil since 1987," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 9376, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Julio J. Nogues, 2005.
"Agricultural Exporters in a Protectionist World: Review and Policy Implications of Barriers Against Mercosur,"
- Julio J. Nogués, 2004. "Agricultural Exporters in a Protectionist World: Review and Policy Implications of Barriers Against Mercosur," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 9386, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Putnam, Robert D., 1988. "Diplomacy and domestic politics: the logic of two-level games," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 42(03), pages 427-460, June.
- repec:idb:brikps:8285 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hiscox, Michael J., 1999. "The Magic Bullet? The RTAA, Institutional Reform, and Trade Liberalization," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 53(04), pages 669-698, September.
- Esteradeordal, Antoni & Goto, Junichi, 2001. "The New Regionalism in the Americas: The Case of Mercosur," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 16, pages 180-202.
- repec:idb:brikps:8423 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mauricio Mesquita Moreira, 2004. "Brazil’s Trade Liberalization and Growth: Has it Failed?," International Trade 0412008, EconWPA.
- Robert Devlin & Ricardo Ffrench-Davis, 1999. "Towards an Evaluation of Regional Integration in Latin America in the 1990s," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(2), pages 261-290, 03.
- Kyle Bagwell & Robert W. Staiger, 2004. "The Economics of the World Trading System," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262524341, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rio:texdis:494. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.