The harmonization of indirect taxes in the Andean Community
The approval of Decisions 599 and 600 on the Harmonization of Substantial and Procedural Aspects of Value Added Taxes and the Harmonization of Excise Type Taxes (VAT and selective taxes) by the Commission of the Andean Community is a notable victory for the Andean integration process and sets a precedent in the developing world. The Decisions amount to an agreement on how to design national laws on a modern and administratively coordinated VAT, as well as joint rules on excise taxes. These accords sprang from the political will of the Andean authorities working in this field, the countries' technical capacities, and the catalyzing role played by the political authority of the Andean Community's General Secretariat (GS), which received technical support from the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB). Representatives of the five member countries' Finance Ministries and Taxation Directorates participated actively and enthusiastically in these efforts. The process began with a background study commissioned using funds from an IDB regional technical cooperation project, followed by three negotiating rounds and eight meetings of experts and officials organized by the GS (With the financial and technical support of the IDB through the Special Initiative on Trade and Integration)
|Date of creation:||Feb 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.iadb.org/intal
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:idb:brikps:8285 is not listed on IDEAS
- Engel, Eduardo M. R. A. & Galetovic, Alexander & Raddatz, Claudio E., 1999.
"Taxes and income distribution in Chile: some unpleasant redistributive arithmetic,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 155-192, June.
- Eduardo M.R.A. Engel & Alexander Galetovic & Claudio E. Raddatz, 1998. "Taxes and Income Distribution in Chile: Some Unpleasant Redistributive Arithmetic," NBER Working Papers 6828, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eduardo Engel & Alexander Galetovic & Claudio Raddatz, 1998. "Taxes and Income Distribution in Chile: Some Unpleasant Redistributive Arithmetic," Documentos de Trabajo 41, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Julio J. Nogues, 2005.
"Agricultural Exporters in a Protectionist World: Review and Policy Implications of Barriers Against Mercosur,"
- Julio J. Nogués, 2004. "Agricultural Exporters in a Protectionist World: Review and Policy Implications of Barriers Against Mercosur," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 9386, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Esteradeordal, Antoni & Goto, Junichi, 2001. "The New Regionalism in the Americas: The Case of Mercosur," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 16, pages 180-202.
- Marcelo de Paiva Abreu, 2004. "The Political Economy of High Protection in Brazil before 1987," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 9375, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Robert Devlin & Ricardo Ffrench-Davis, 1999. "Towards an Evaluation of Regional Integration in Latin America in the 1990s," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(2), pages 261-290, 03.
- Mauricio Mesquita Moreira, 2004. "Brazil’s Trade Liberalization and Growth: Has it Failed?," International Trade 0412008, EconWPA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:idb:intalp:2820. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.