Friends and Rivals: Modelling the Social Relations of Inventors
In this chapter we develop a model where a population of inventors is rival in the production of patents. Inventors are embedded in the social space, and this affects the process of knowledge creation and diffusion. Our main contribution to the existing theoretical literature on social networks and knowledge is to introduce explicitly patents and patents’ citations. This is interesting per se, and it favours a better comparability of results with those of empirical analysis on the same topic. Results from numerical simulations show that our model is able to replicate the empirical negative relationship between patents’ citations and social distance. Furthermore, different social network structures may have an impact on the exact shape of such relationship.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.rcfea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cowan, R. & Jonard, N., 2003.
"The dynamics of collective invention,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 513-532, December.
- Joel A. C. Baum & Robin Cowan & Nicolas Jonard, 2010.
"Network-Independent Partner Selection and the Evolution of Innovation Networks,"
INFORMS, vol. 56(11), pages 2094-2110, November.
- Baum, Joel & Cowan, Robin & Jonard, Nicolas, 2009. "Network-independent partner selection and the evolution of innovation networks," MERIT Working Papers 022, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Joel BAUM & Robin COWAN & Nicolas JONARD, 2009. "Network-independent partner selection and the evolution of innovation networks," Working Papers of BETA 2009-23, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Cowan Robin & Jonard Nicolas & Özman Müge, 2003. "Knowledge Dynamics in a Network Industry," Research Memorandum 003, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- R. Cowan & N. Jonard & J.-B. Zimmermann, 2002. "The Joint Dynamics of Networks and Knowledge," Computing in Economics and Finance 2002 354, Society for Computational Economics.
- Franco Malerba & Nicholas S. Vonortas (ed.), 2009. "Innovation Networks in Industries," Books, Edward Elgar, number 12781.
- Giuliani, Elisa & Bell, Martin, 2005. "The micro-determinants of meso-level learning and innovation: evidence from a Chilean wine cluster," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 47-68, February.
- Piergiuseppe Morone & Richard Taylor, 2004. "Knowledge diffusion dynamics and network properties of face-to-face interactions," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 327-351, 07.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rim:rimwps:39_12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marco Savioli)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.