Public R&D Subsidies and Employment Growth - Microeconomic Evidence from Finnish Firms
This study empirically explores whether the public financial support for entrepreneurial R&D affects employment growth at the firm level. The data from the Finnish companies suggests that the firms that have received public R&D funding have not generally witnessed any greater employment growth than other companies. However, we find that the public R&D support targeted to the certain types of R&D activities notably contribute to the creation of new jobs : employment in those firms that have received public funding for the R&D projects targeted to the new business areas has clearly grown relatively more than in other companies. The relationship between the firms total innovation and employment growth is not statistically significant.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +358 (0)9 609 900
Fax: +358 (0)9 601 753
Web page: http://www.etla.fi/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brouwer, Erik & Kleinknecht, Alfred & Reijnen, Jeroen O N, 1993. "Employment Growth and Innovation at the Firm Level," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 153-59, May.
- Hall, Bronwyn H. & Mairesse, Jacques & Lotti, Francesca, 2006.
"Employment, Innovation, and Productivity: Evidence from Italian Microdata,"
MERIT Working Papers
043, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Jacques Mairesse, 2008. "Employment, innovation, and productivity: evidence from Italian microdata," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(4), pages 813-839, August.
- Bronwyn Hall & Francesca Lotti & Jacques Mairesse, 2006. "Employment, innovation and productivity: evidence from Italian microdata," IFS Working Papers W06/24, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Francesca Lotti & Jacques Mairesse, 2007. "Employment, Innovation, and Productivity: Evidence from Italian Microdata," NBER Working Papers 13296, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Francesca Lotti & Jacques Mairesse, 2007. "Employment, innovation, and productivity: Evidence from italian microdata," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 622, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Tor Jakob Klette & Svein Erik Førre, 1995.
"Innovation and Job Creation in a Small Open Economy Evidence from Norwegian Manufacturing Plants 1982-92,"
159, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Jakob Klette & Svein Erik F�rre, 1998. "Innovation And Job Creation In A Smallopen Economy-Evidence From Norwegian Manufacturing Plants 1982-92," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(2-4), pages 247-272.
- Peters, Bettina, 2004.
"Employment Effects of Different Innovation Activities: Microeconometric Evidence,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
04-73, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Bettina Peters, 2005. "Employment Effects of Different Innovation Activities: Microeconometric Evidence," Development and Comp Systems 0504002, EconWPA.
- Peters, Bettina, 2005. "Employment Effects of Different Innovation Activities: Microeconometric Evidence," ZEW Discussion Papers 04-73 [rev.], ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Koski, Heli, 2008. "Public R&D Funding and Entrepreneurial Innovation," Discussion Papers 1142, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Lerner, Josh, 1999. "The Government as Venture Capitalist: The Long-Run Impact of the SBIR Program," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72(3), pages 285-318, July.
- Isabel Busom, 2000. "An Empirical Evaluation of The Effects of R&D Subsidies," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 111-148.
- Doms, Mark & Dunne, Timothy & Roberts, Mark J., 1995. "The role of technology use in the survival and growth of manufacturing plants," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 523-542, December.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-5662246 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rif:dpaper:1143. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kaija Hyvönen-Rajecki)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.