International Technological Competition and Optimal R&D Subsidies in the US: 1973-1990
International technological competition implied by the global distribution of R&D investment changed dramatically in the 1970s and 1980s. In the early 1970s the distribution is very skewed: US firms were the uncontested world leaders in research investment in most manufacturing sectors. Later, with Japan's and Europe's technological catching-up, foreign firms started challenging american leaders in many sectors of the economy. What was the effects on US national welfare of foreign innovators entering sectors previously dominated by american firms? What are the implications for the optimal US R&D subsidy? This paper builds an empirical measure of international R&D rivalry that tracks down these changes in international competition in innovation. In a version of the quality-ladders endogenous growth model the paper quantitatively evaluates the effects of the observed increase in competition on US welfare, and compute the welfare losses produced by the gap between the actual and the optimal R&D subsidy response to competition.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tang, Paul J. G. & Wälde, Klaus, 1996.
"International competition, growth and welfare,"
Discussion Papers, Series II
316, University of Konstanz, Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) 178 "Internationalization of the Economy".
- Eaton, Jonathan & Grossman, Gene M, 1986.
"Optimal Trade and Industrial Policy under Oligopoly,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 101(2), pages 383-406, May.
- Jonathan Eaton & Gene M. Grossman, 1983. "Optimal Trade and Industrial Policy Under Oligopoly," NBER Working Papers 1236, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- van de Klundert, Theo & Smulders, Sjak, 1997. " Growth, Competition and Welfare," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 99(1), pages 99-118, March.
- Arvind Subramanian & Raghuram Rajan & Ioannis Tokatlidis & Kalpana Kochhar & Utsav Kumar, 2006.
"India's Pattern of Development; What Happened, What Follows?,"
IMF Working Papers
06/22, International Monetary Fund.
- Kochhar, Kalpana & Kumar, Utsav & Rajan, Raghuram & Subramanian, Arvind & Tokatlidis, Ioannis, 2006. "India's pattern of development: What happened, what follows?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(5), pages 981-1019, July.
- Kalpana Kochhar & Utsav Kumar & Raghuram Rajan & Arvind Subramanian, 2006. "India's Patterns of Development: What Happened, What Follows," NBER Working Papers 12023, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed007:747. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.