The composition of capital flows when emerging market firms face financing constraints
Using a small open economy framework, we model the composition of capital inflows as the equilibrium outcome of emerging market firms' financing decisions. We show that debt limits, equity issuing costs, and foreign direct investment search costs generate a financing premium and that the ``cheapest'' source of financing depends on the phase of the business cycle and past financing decisions. The model delivers several results that are consistent with stylized facts observed in emerging markets. First, as the cost of each financing instrument changes, the demand for foreign debt, portfolio equity, and foreign direct investment adjusts thereby explaining fluctuations in the composition of the capital account over the business cycle. Second, the financial frictions generate a countercyclical financing premium which is consistent with countercyclical interest rates and a countercyclical current account.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anusha Chari & Paige P. Ouimet & Linda L. Tesar, 2004. "Acquiring Control in Emerging Markets: Evidence from the Stock Market," NBER Working Papers 10872, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shang-Jin Wei, 2000. "Local Corruption and Global Capital Flows," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 31(2), pages 303-354.
- Martin Feldstein & Charles Horioka, 1979.
"Domestic Savings and International Capital Flows,"
NBER Working Papers
0310, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laura Alfaro & Andrew Charlton, 2007.
"Growth and the Quality of Foreign Direct Investment: Is All FDI Equal?,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0830, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Laura Alfaro & Andrew Charlton, 2007. "Growth and the quality of foreign direct investment: is all FDI equal?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19666, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- André Faria & Philip R. Lane & Paolo Mauro & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2007.
"The Shifting Composition of External Liabilities,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Terry J. Fitzgerald, 1999.
"The Band pass filter,"
9906, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Paolo Mauro & AndrÃ© Faria, 2004.
"Institutions and the External Capital Structure of Countries,"
IMF Working Papers
04/236, International Monetary Fund.
- Faria, Andr & Mauro, Paolo, 2009. "Institutions and the external capital structure of countries," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 367-391, April.
- Reuven Glick & Ramon Moreno & Mark Spiegel, 2001. "Financial crises in emerging markets," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue mar.23.
- Rui Albuquerque, 2004.
"The Composition of International Capital Flows: Risk Sharing Through Foreign Direct Investment,"
- Albuquerque, Rui, 2003. "The composition of international capital flows: risk sharing through foreign direct investment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 353-383, December.
- Steven Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1987.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
2387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mendoza, Enrique G. & Smith, Katherine A., 2006.
"Quantitative implications of a debt-deflation theory of Sudden Stops and asset prices,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 82-114, September.
- Enrique G. Mendoza & Katherine A. Smith, 2004. "Quantitative Implication of A Debt-Deflation Theory of Sudden Stops and Asset Prices," NBER Working Papers 10940, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Razin, Assaf & Sadka, Efraim & Yuen, Chi-Wa, 1998.
"A pecking order of capital inflows and international tax principles,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 45-68, February.
- Razin, A & Sadka, E & Yuen, C-W, 1997. "A Pecking Order of Capital Inflows and International Tax Principles," Papers 12-97, Tel Aviv - the Sackler Institute of Economic Studies.
- João F. Gomes & Amir Yaron & Lu Zhang, 2006.
"Asset Pricing Implications of Firms' Financing Constraints,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 19(4), pages 1321-1356.
- Joao Gomes & Amir Yaron & Lu Zhang, 2002. "Asset Pricing Implications of Firms' Financing Constraints," NBER Working Papers 9365, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gomes, Joao F & Yaron, Amir & Zhang, Lu, 2002. "Asset Pricing Implications of Firms' Financing Constraints," CEPR Discussion Papers 3495, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pissarides, Christopher A, 1985. "Short-run Equilibrium Dynamics of Unemployment Vacancies, and Real Wages," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 676-90, September.
- Lee, Inmoo & et al, 1996. "The Costs of Raising Capital," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 19(1), pages 59-74, Spring.
- Altinkilic, Oya & Hansen, Robert S, 2000. "Are There Economies of Scale in Underwriting Fees? Evidence of Rising External Financing Costs," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(1), pages 191-218.
- Enrique G. Mendoza & P. Marcelo Oviedo, 2006. "Fiscal Policy and Macroeconomic Uncertainty in Emerging Markets: The Tale of the Tormented Insurer," 2006 Meeting Papers 377, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Hercowitz, Zvi & Huffman, Gregory W, 1988. "Investment, Capacity Utilization, and the Real Business Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 402-17, June.
- Bond, Stephen & Meghir, Costas, 1994.
"Dynamic Investment Models and the Firm's Financial Policy,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(2), pages 197-222, April.
- Stephen Bond & Costas Meghir, 1990. "Dynamic Investment Models and the Firm's Financial Policy," CEPR Financial Markets Paper 0013, European Science Foundation Network in Financial Markets, c/o C.E.P.R, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ..
- Tauchen, George & Hussey, Robert, 1991. "Quadrature-Based Methods for Obtaining Approximate Solutions to Nonlinear Asset Pricing Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 371-96, March.
- Eisfeldt, Andrea L. & Rampini, Adriano A., 2006. "Capital reallocation and liquidity," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 369-399, April.
- Enrique G. Mendoza, 2006. "Endogenous Sudden Stops in a Business Cycle Model with Collateral Constraints:A Fisherian Deflation of Tobin's Q," NBER Working Papers 12564, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Montiel, Peter & Reinhart, Carmen M., 1999.
"Do capital controls and macroeconomic policies influence the volume and composition of capital flows? Evidence from the 1990s,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 619-635, August.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Montiel, Peter, 1999. "Do capital controls influence the volume and composition of capital flows? Evidence from the 1990s," MPRA Paper 13710, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Campion, Mary Kathryn & Neumann, Rebecca M., 2004. "Compositional effects of capital controls: evidence from Latin America," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 161-178, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed007:533. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.